Air France KLM baggage policy has been established for passengers to carry a limited number of bags inside its flights. The merger of both airlines happened in May 2004 with the help of the French government. Hence the baggage policy of both the air carriers is the same. Reading the rules of the baggage allowance will not only help you pack accordingly but also cost you less while heading on a trip.
Air France KLM Checked Baggage Policy
For checked flights, the Air France baggage allowance policy allows only a limited weight of bags for the security of its passengers. Mentioned herewith are the basic rules that apply to the checked items on Air France KLM flights:
- The baggage fees of carrying checked items depend on the cabin class you choose.
- It also varies as per the itinerary preferred and the time of your bookings.
- Air France KLM mentions that the baggage weight limit should not exceed above 23 kilograms for Economy passengers.
- For Business Class and First Class passengers of Air France KLM, the allotted weight limit is 32 kilograms.
- The total dimensions of the checked baggage must be under 158 centimeters.
In the table below, you will find the number of bags you can carry along with their cabin class on Air France KLM:
|Cabin Class||Number of Bags||Weight Restrictions|
|Economy Class||1||50 pounds|
|Premium Economy Class||2||50 pounds|
|Business Class||2||70 pounds|
|First Class||3||70 pounds|
Guidelines for Bringing Excess Baggage Inside Air France KLM Flights
In instances wherein your hand luggage surpasses the standard allowance, you will be charged additional Air France extra baggage fees. Travelers on Air France KLM Airlines can buy extra baggage allowance online or at the terminal for a fee that varies based on the trip route and length. The extra baggage fees applied as per the route are as follows:
|Route and Destinations||Additional Baggage Fees|
|France to Europe||Standard fees: €70, First Piece: €35Standard fees: €70, First Piece: €40|
|Europe and North Africa||Standard fees: €70, First Piece: €40|
|Caribbean||Standard fees: €55, First Piece: €200|
|French overseas||Standard fees: €100, First Piece: €100|
|North America||Standard fees: €85, First Piece: €240|
|Europe and the Middle East||Standard fees: €75, First Piece: €200|
|Miami and the Caribbean||Standard fees: €55, First Piece: €240|
|Other long-haul destinations||Standard fees: €90. First Piece: €179|
Overweight Air France KLM Baggage Fees
Any items that cross the weight allowance above 32 kilograms are considered overweight baggage. When any customer takes items that are overweight or oversized, he/she will be charged with additional Air France baggage fees. The fees related to carrying overweight bags are as described below:
|Routes||Oversized Baggage||Overweight Baggage|
|Europe and North Africa||€75||€70|
|Europe and the Middle East||€300||€75|
|Miami and the Caribbean||€25||€65|
|Other long-haul destinations||€300||€100|
Air France KLM Security Rules for Transporting Carry-on Baggage
Air France KLM baggage policy implies many standard rules for transporting carry-on baggage inside its aircraft. These rules are imposed on what items are to be carried upon boarding. The items mentioned as follows can be taken inside the check-in as a piece of carry-on baggage:
- Duty-free items
- Hearing aids
- Mobility devices
- Power banks
- Electronic gadgets
- Baby food
- Baby car seat
Following the KLM and Air France baggage allowance policy, here are some restrictions that apply on taking liquids inside the flights:
- Liquid and gel-like material containers may store up to 100 ml.
- A plastic bag must be used to transport all containers.
- At the airport security point, passengers must remove their liquids from their carry-on luggage and individually submit them.
- Liquid duty-free products must be carried in a tamper-proof bag bought at an international airport or onboard an airplane.
- Medicines and special foods are permitted to be taken outside of the plastic bag but must be submitted to security.
Taking Infants with Air France KLM Airways
When any customer is carrying infants, as per the Air France KLM baggage policy, these rules will have to be followed:
- Infants do not require a personal seat for themselves.
- They must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- One adult or a single parent is allowed with one infant.
- If the infant reaches 2 years old, then he/she is entitled to pay their own fees.
- When you do not own a child restraint device, you can buy an extra seat for your infant.
Air France KLM Pet Baggage Policy
Air France KLM approves only little pets inside the aircraft. Special rules apply on carrying pets inside the Air France flights. The Air France baggage allowance for transporting pets are:
- On non-stop flights, pets can be carried in the hold.
- Pets cannot be transported in the hold or on the aircraft to China.
- Pets may only be brought in the aircraft from Moscow to Paris.
- To be allowed on board, your pet must have all of the needed vaccinations.
- You must bring your pet carrier with you if you want to take your animals under the cabin.
- The pet carrier must be both robust and waterproof.
Sports and Musical Equipment Permitted by Air France KLM Airways
Certain sports and musical items are approved by Air France KLM Airways. Concerning Air France KLM baggage policy, the following are approved by this airline:
- Golf bag
- Diving equipment
- Fishing equipment
- Ski equipment
- Surfing board
- Kite surfs
- Windsurfing board
- Archery equipment
Prohibited Items on Air France KLM Airways
In this section, we are narrowing down what items are prohibited with reference to the Air France cabin baggage policy:
- Electronic cigarettes
- Flammable objects
- Lithium batteries
- Medical devices
- Replacement batteries
- Liquid gas
- Nitrogen gas
- Spare parts of the engine
Preventing the Payment of Extra Baggage Fees at Air France KLM Airlines
Passengers of Air France buy baggage allowance fees with additional charges when certain rules of the policy are not followed. Following all the rules is highly suggested to prevent paying such charges. Also, Air France provides 1-2 complimentary basic carry-on bags for all tickets and locations. Thus, you might be able to avoid money on baggage fees by simply putting all of your belongings into your carry-ons. Depending on the duration of your journey, this may not be practical but it is worth exploring for shorter excursions.
You may be able to prevent paying any baggage fees on Air France KLM if you can fit all of your belongings into your carry-ons. Consider spending a part of your Flying Blue credits to pay for your checked baggage costs if you are a subscriber of Air France’s Flying Blue program.
To check out more of our baggage rules on airlines like this one, go through our post on ANA Baggage Policy now.
Frequently Asked Questions for Air France KLM Baggage Policy
Air France, like several other airlines, requires that all checked baggage carry no more than 50 pounds and extend no more than 62 linear inches. To prevent overweight or excessive baggage penalties as per the Air France KLM baggage policy, you must measure your bags before your departure. You can also weigh them after you have packed for your travel on a luggage scale.
For reasons like minimizing the time at the check-in desk or the terminal, you may pay for your luggage immediately with the Air France online system. According to Air France baggage policy for international flights, it is possible to pay in advance from the time you buy your flight tickets until 30 minutes before departure.