Southwest baggage policy has been made to keep the travelers informed. Southwest Airlines is considered one of the low-carrier airlines and is traveled by passengers worldwide. To ensure that both passengers and airline face no inconvenient situations, the policy with baggage rules has been formed. This policy indicates rules relating to the luggage or bags that passengers can carry. It has defined the weight of bags that is agreeable. The policy’s rules also explain the items that are or are not allowed onboard. The rules of the baggage policy need to be met by every passenger of Southwest Airlines.
Southwest Baggage Allowance Policy for Checked Luggage
Southwest Airlines is among those airlines that allow all customers to check their baggage for free. The customers may check up to two bags cost-free, each weighing no more than 50 pounds. The total dimensions of the bags cannot be more than 62 inches. However, according to Southwest baggage allowance policy, if you are carrying three or more bags as checked luggage, then additional charges may be required.
Guidelines for Excess Baggage of Southwest Airlines
Certain passengers may want to carry excess baggage while traveling with Southwest Airlines. The airline has made guidelines available for luggage that surpasses the size, weight, and quantity restrictions defined in the baggage policy.
- The weight of extra luggage is restricted up to 50 lbs or 23 kg apiece.
- A bag weighing more than 100 lbs is not allowed by the airline.
- You will not be able to take extra luggage for free on your flight. As per the Southwest Airlines baggage fees, extra charges will be applied in this case.
Oversized or Overweight Southwest Baggage Fees
Southwest extra baggage fees, based on different conditions, have been displayed below:
|Carrying extra luggage on the flight||$75|
|Luggage comprising 10 or more bags||$110|
|Weight of luggage beyond 50 lbs||$75|
|Luggage size over 62 inches||$75|
Southwest Security Rules of Carry-On Baggage Policy
As per the Southwest baggage policy, certain security rules for carry-on luggage are applicable. In these rules of Southwest Airlines, what not to bring and what is allowed have been explained.
- Through the control point, you are permitted to bring in your luggage and a fourth bag containing:
- Liquid items being carried will require further screening during checking.
- An object that cannot be inspected is not allowed to be carried.
- The items being packed in the luggage should be above 3.4 oz or 100 ml.
Carrying Infants with Southwest Airlines
While a passenger carries an infant with him/her, these are Southwest baggage policy rules that should be kept in mind:
- You can carry an infant who is at least 14 days old.
- For babies between 14 days to 2 years, any charges may not be applicable, as per Southwest baggage policy.
- A boarding permit may not be required in the case of infants.
- While traveling from a domestic flight, a Boarding Verification Document for your baby will be needed.
Southwest Airlines Baggage Policy for Pets
The Southwest baggage allowance policy for pets has been described below:
- Tiny and trained cats and dogs are allowed inside the cabin of Southwest.
- Pets need to be transported in a container.
- The container for transporting the pets should have the following dimensions:
- Not more than 8.5 inches high
- Not exceeding 18.5 inches in length
- Only up to 13.5 inches in width
- Only one pet carrier is permitted
- Charges for pet containers will cost $95 for one-way.
Sporting and Music Equipment Accepted in Southwest Airlines
Sports instruments that are permitted by Southwest Airlines include:
- Golf bags
- Non-motorized bicycles
- Baseball equipment
- Archery equipment
- Fishing tackle box
- Bowling bag
- Hockey sticks
- Tennis rackets
- Water and snow ski equipment
Prohibited Items and Baggage Policy of Southwest Airlines
The items prohibited by Southwest Airlines baggage allowance policy are inclusive of:
- Lithium batteries
- Certain electronic gadgets
- Electric lighters
- Knives and sharp objects
- Electronic cigarettes and vape devices
- Plastic explosives
In addition to the baggage policy of this airline, knowing its reviews can be helpful prior to making a flight reservation. Click here to go through these Southwest Airlines reviews.
Frequently Asked Questions for Southwest Baggage Policy
You can take one personal item with a single standard carry-on flying, as per Southwest carry-on baggage allowance policy. For additional items or luggage, you will have to pay an extra fee.
Checked luggage on Southwest Airlines is free. The Southwest checked bags must conform to a maximum weight of 50 pounds and 62 inches in linear dimensions.
Yes, 3 or a double luggage limit on Southwest Airlines can be checked. An extra luggage charge of 75$ for the third bag will be applicable, as per the Southwest baggage fees policy rules. Also, getting 3 bags checked is possible if each one of them satisfies the maximum parameters of weight and bag.