United Airlines baggage policy contains a set of guidelines for passengers. Located in Chicago, Illinois, U.S., this air carrier suggests knowing the guidelines prior to travel. The policy, comprising allowance and fees guidelines, is applicable to passengers heading towards both domestic and international destinations. Knowing them can be of great assistance while initiating your travel plans with United Airlines.
United Airlines Baggage Allowance For Checked Luggage
United Airlines International baggage allowance has some rules about the checked baggage of its customers. These rules mention the total amount of weight the checked baggage can have. Different classes have some specific weight limitations.
These weight limits, as per their classes, are given as follows:
|United Airlines Class||Weight Limit|
|Economy Class||50 lbs|
|Premium Economy Class||70 lbs|
|Business Class||70 lbs|
If the passengers find it difficult to estimate the United Airlines allowance, then United advises them to utilize their official baggage charge calculator tool.
As per United Airlines checked baggage policy, the chart of checked baggage allowance along with its fees has been mentioned below:
|Category||Fees||Maximum Weight||Maximum Size|
|First checked bag||$35||50 lbs||62”|
|Second checked bag||$45||50 lbs||62”|
|Third checked bag||$150||50 lbs||62”|
|Fourth(+) checked bag||$200||50 lbs||62”|
Guidelines for Excess Baggage of United Airlines
Proper guidelines have been made for excess bags carried with United Airlines. As per the guidelines, when any traveler takes a piece of additional luggage, United Airlines’ extra baggage fee will have to be submitted by him/her.
In accordance with the United Airlines baggage policy, certain recommendations must be taken into account while carrying excess baggage with this airline:
- The additional luggage should be less than 50 pounds in weight and 62 inches in size.
- It is prohibited for passengers to carry additional baggage above 115 lbs.
- When any luggage is found to be between 63-115 inches, an extra excess fee will be added.
Overweight or Oversized United Airlines Baggage Fees
Any checked luggage that surpasses the size or weight restrictions will bear additional service costs, as per United Airlines baggage fees. On flights to specific locations, overweight and additional luggage is not permitted. The fees of overweight items carried by United Airlines are described in the table:
|Destination/Route||Oversized Bags (63 to 115 Linear Inches)||Overweight Bags (51 to 70 lbs)||Overweight Bags (71 to 100 lbs)|
|Domestic U.S. & Canada||$200||$100||$200|
|The U.S. to/from Mexico||$200-£400||$100||$200|
|U.S. to/from Cancun/Cozumel/Merida||$200-$400||$100||$200|
|The U.S. to/from the Caribbean||$200-$400||$100||$200|
|U.S. to/from Puerto Rico/U.S. Virgin Islands||$200||$100||$200|
|The U.S. to/from Cuba||$400||$400||$600|
|The U.S. to/from Central America||$200-300||$200||$400|
|The U.S. to/from Brazil||$200||$100||$200|
|The U.S. to/from Europe/India||$200||$200||$400|
United Airlines Security Rules of Carry-on Baggage Policy
Security restrictions and rules for travelers’ carry-on have been established by United Airlines baggage allowance policy. These security regulations specify which things are and are not permitted on board.
Passengers on United flights are allowed to bring the following items:
- Makeup items and accessories
- Alcoholic beverages
- Child safety seats
- Baby products
- Bobby pins
- Bottled water
- Digital cameras
- Extension cords
Specific United Airlines carry-on baggage fees allow liquid to be carried inside the flight. These recommendations must be taken into consideration while traveling with any liquid, gel, or aerosol items:
- Customers flying out of any U.S. airport may transport carry-on luggage through security and board the plane with:
- Trial-size liquids
- Every liquid item having 3.4 ounces or less
- All liquids must fit comfortably in one clear and sealable quart-size (liter-size) bag.
Carrying Infants with United Airlines
For infants, United Airlines occupies a different baggage policy that customers must follow. The following rules should be kept in mind while traveling with infants on United:
- A ticket is not required for infants under the age of two who travel without a seat inside the United States, Puerto Rico, or the United States Virgin Islands.
- Infants flying abroad (including destinations to Canada, Guam, and Mexico) who do not have a seat must buy a ticket and pay infant rates and taxes.
- If you have bought a seat for your kid, you may utilize an FAA-approved child restraint system (CRS).
- As defined in the policy, you may also utilize child safety seats available on certain commercial flights.
United Airlines Baggage Policy for Pets
As per United Airlines baggage, the rules for carrying pets inside the flight are as follows:
- Tamed cats and dogs, that can be put in a travel container under the seat in front of you, are considered in-cabin pets.
- In addition to your carry-on luggage limit, you may bring the kennel with your pet.
- Pets are not permitted to travel with migrant minors.
- When you wish to bring another pet with you, purchase an additional ticket for it and pay a higher $125 each way.
- Your pet must also stay on the floor area under the seat at all times.
Sporting and Music Equipment Accepted in United Airlines
United Airlines International baggage fees do allow passengers with specific sports instruments. Also, they can bring musical instruments. The list of the items included in this section is as mentioned below:
- Archery equipment
- Baseball equipment
- Boogie/skim/speed boards
- Bowling equipment
- Camping equipment
- Fencing and kendo equipment
- Golf equipment
- Fishing equipment
- Gymnastic equipment
- Tennis equipment
- Life jacket
- Hockey and lacrosse equipment
- Skiboards or snowboards
- Vaulting poles
- Windsurfing boards
Prohibited Items on United Airlines
Passengers are prohibited from carrying certain items on flights with United. The detailed list of what should not be taken, as per the United Airlines baggage policy in Economy, is as follows:
- Avalanche packs
- Dry ice
- Dry shippers
- Liquid nitrogen
- Gasoline-powered tools
- Household items
- Self-propelled vehicles
- Mobility devices
- Scuba tanks
- Stun guns
In one of our posts, we have discussed the United Airlines reviews. To plan your trip with the airline, reading these reviews can assist you to know the quality levels of its services. Click here to read them right away.
Frequently Asked Questions for United Airlines Baggage Policy
According to the carry-on baggage policy of United Airlines, the first bag charges around $35. The second bag costs $45. Also, if any traveler has to carry three or more than three bags, then the airline will charge nearly $150 each.
The standard checked baggage size can weigh up to 62 inches on traveling with United Airlines. Whenever checked baggage is found more than the standard size, an additional fee is required, as is in accordance with the United Airlines baggage fees weight limit restrictions.
A suitcase weighing up to 50 pounds or 23 kilograms can be taken inside the flights of United Airlines. Concerning United Airlines baggage policy, any suitcase weighing above 50 pounds will be considered a piece of overweight luggage. In that case, an extra fee will be added for the luggage.