Passengers find Alaska Airlines baggage policy to be useful for knowing the specifications of items that are approved for taking on the flight. The rules in the policy are also to be obeyed by them about carrying limited luggage inside its flights. On not following the rules, a passenger may be charged an additional fee. To avoid paying the fee or seeing an unlikely action, knowing the rules, as well as following them, is suggested.
Alaska Airlines Baggage Allowance Policy for Checked Items
Checked baggage is included in several Alaska Airlines prices. Carrying the items inside the flight refers to paying Alaska Airlines checked baggage fees. As per the baggage policy of Alaska, carrying these checked items is entitled to the number of bags you carry. Only limited baggage is allowed inside the flights of this air carrier. However, it is to be noted that the size of the baggage should not exceed 70 pounds. It should also not surpass the linear dimensions of 62 linear inches.
The fees of the Alaska Airlines baggage allowance vary depending on the route and cabin class. Mentioned herewith is the table for additional information on the number of checked baggage and the fees associated with them:
|Domestic/International||Number of Bags||Fees|
|Domestic First Class||First bag||Complimentary|
|Within Alaska State||First bag||Complimentary|
Fees for Taking Excess Baggage Inside Alaska Airlines
Passengers are charged with Alaska baggage fees on carrying excess items on the flight. These fees depend upon how much weight you bring inside the aircraft. Here are the fees related to bringing extra baggage on Alaska Airlines:
|Number of Bags||Fees|
|3 or 3+||$100|
Overweight or Oversized Alaska Airlines Baggage Fees
When your checked bag weighs more than 23 kilos or 50 pounds, you will be fined an overweight Alaska Airlines baggage fee. The fee schedule for the same is mentioned below along with the weight restriction:
- If the bags weigh above 24-46 kilos or 51-100 pounds, then travelers must pay a charge of USD 100 per bag.
- Any luggage weighing more than 46 kilos or 100 pounds will not be accepted as checked baggage by Alaska Airlines.
- Passengers must pay a fee of USD 100 for luggage with sizes varying from 63 to 115 linear inches.
- Alaska Airlines does not allow checked luggage with sizes more than 115 linear inches.
Baggage Items Approved by Alaska Airlines for Flying
There are various security rules that have to be obeyed by the passengers of Alaska Airlines. These rules are imposed on the carry-on baggage taken inside the aircraft. It also mentioned what items are accepted on flights with Alaska Airlines. The below described are the items permitted according to the Alaska baggage policy:
- Makeup accessories
- Bobby pins
- Safety pins
- Small briefcase
- Walking stick
- Hearing aids
- Infant food
- Infant stroller
- Baby basket
- Diaper bag
Certain restrictions apply on carrying liquid inside Alaska Airlines. The liquid restrictions, concerning the Alaska Air baggage policy, are as follows:
- Liquids, sprays, gels, lotions, and pastes are permitted through the screening in one compact bag.
- Each container is restricted to 3.4 ounces or less.
- TSA officials can swiftly examine these containers by putting them in a tiny bag away from your carry-on baggage.
- Under the policy of Alaska Airlines, the 3-1-1 rule must be observed.
Bringing Infants with Alaska Airlines
These are some guidelines for passengers traveling with their infants on Alaska Airlines flights:
- On Alaska Airlines aircraft, lap babies are not authorized in the emergency escape rows, nor in the rows directly above and behind any departure row.
- Although lap babies are not assigned a seat, if an empty seat becomes vacant on a flight, then the infant may take it for no additional fee.
- A diaper bag will go towards the adult customer’s normal carry-on allowance while flying with a lap infant.
- Infants in a lap do not have their carry-on limit, according to the Alaska Airlines baggage policy.
- If a passenger does not have a baby seat, then he/she can purchase one.
Alaska Airlines Baggage Policy for Pets
Alaska Airlines has certain rules and regulations for bringing pets inside the aircraft. These rules on carrying pets as a cabin and a piece of cargo baggage are as mentioned below:
- You will acquire an Alaska Airlines certified pet carrier if your pet fulfills all of the rules and regulations.
- Only carriers that are watertight from the base up and have sufficient space for the pet to walk and roam about without hitting the roof are permitted in the cabin.
- Alaska Airlines allows only small pets, dogs, and domestic birds in the aircraft.
- To be transported in cargo, all dogs and cats must be trained and be at least 8 weeks old.
- Under Alaska Airlines’ baggage policy for pets, the total mass of the pet and carrier is limited to 150 pounds.
Sports and Musical Items Approved by Alaska Airlines
Limited sports and musical items are accepted by Alaska Airlines. Owing to the regulations of its baggage policy, the following are the items permitted:
|Sports Equipment||Musical Instruments|
Prohibited Things Inside Alaska Airlines
The following things are restricted concerning the Alaska Airlines baggage check policy:
- Battery-operated strollers
- Camping equipment
- Gun powder
- Drain cleaners
- Household items
- Gasoline tools
- Pool chemicals
- Sharp objects
Avoiding Extra Baggage Fees at Alaska Airlines
When traveling with Alaska Airlines, there are a number of methods to possibly save money on baggage fees or prevent them entirely.
Claim with Credit Card Provider for Compensation
Some credit card issuers now provide refund alternatives for cardholders’ baggage costs. Inquire with your credit card provider to see whether it provides this service. Assuming that it is provided, you will most likely be told to pay your appropriate baggage fees to your voucher and then seek cashback rewards after your journey.
Exclusions and Waivers
You may be qualified for Alaska Airlines baggage fees for the military if you are a serving veteran of the United States army. Alaska Airlines, in particular, provides active-duty troops with up to 5 free checked baggage. Veterans can also get bigger and heavier allowances up to 70 pounds for checked bags. They are allowed to carry up to 115 linear inches of bags as well.
Do you need more information on airlines and their baggage policies? You can look for them on our page. You can also read our recent post on the Air France KLM baggage policy.
Frequently Asked Questions for Alaska Airlines Baggage Policy
Yes, Alaska Airlines’ baggage policy allows you to pay for your luggage ahead of schedule to save time. You may pay online or at the airport up to 24 hours prior to your flight using the Alaska Airlines mobile app.
Alaska Airlines allows carrying up to 2 or 3 basic bags that are either complimentary or only $30 as your first bag, relying on the itinerary and cabin. Looking at the Alaska Air baggage policy, when you carry additional items on a flight, the extra bags will be charged between $40 to $100.