Checking in is the first step toward the official confirmation of your airline reservation. This has to be done with utmost care and on time. To ensure this, the Air Canada check in policy has clear rules. Additionally, it comprises region-wise guidelines and the relevant procedures involved.
- What are Air Canada Flight Check In Rules?
- What are Air Canada Check In Times?
- What are the Check In Rules for Flights from Toronto Pearson?
- Are there Check In Rules for Flights to the US?
- How to Access the Air Canada Check In Facility?
- Method 1: Through the Website
- Method 2: From the Airport Kiosk
- Method 3: With the Help of Airline Agents
- What is the Check In Time for Connecting Flights on Air Canada?
- Check in Guidelines for Transition Flights:
- What are Air Canada Boarding Zones?
- Air Canada Social Media Handles
What are Air Canada Flight Check In Rules?
Checking in means that a passenger will certainly board the flight on the date of departure. To do so:
- You will have to carry your flight tickets with the booking reference.
- No passenger will be issued a boarding pass without the appropriate travel documents.
- Boarding passes can only be obtained when all the size restrictions are duly followed.
- Passengers can check in using different available options.
- You will be allowed to select your desired seat while your boarding pass is being issued.
- The baggage fees will have to be paid during the process itself.
- On completing Air Canada check-in at least 24 hours before take-off, you will not be required to repeat it.
- Any changes or upgrades on your seats will have to be requested during this process.
- Submission of any health documents is sometimes mandatory.
- At this time, you can also request a change in your aircraft.
- Frequent flier passengers can modify their reservations while marking their arrival.
- No passenger will be allowed on board when not obeying the required legal necessities.
- In case you fail to check in before your flight, you might be charged a penalty.
- The above applies even when you are late for the procedure.
- The check-in time is extended when flights are affected by emergencies like COVID.
- If you cross the given time:
- Your seats will either be rearranged.
- Or, your flight will be canceled altogether.
- Denied boarding compensation won’t be given.
- Every passenger can only check in once on a continuous flight.
- The boarding gate will close about 15 to 30 minutes before the departure
Note: All the updates to the above-mentioned guidelines of the Air Canada flight check in policy will be mentioned on the official site.
Are there Air Canada Checked in Baggage Guidelines?
Certain guidelines are available to follow while you check-in your luggage:
- During the process, maintain the Air Canada checked in baggage weight limit.
- Drop off your luggage and complete the screening process prior to the procedure.
- Since the check-in process with bags may take a while, arrive at the airport early.
- You will have to drop off your bags at the baggage counter before it closes.
- An additional fee will have to be paid for overweight luggage.
What are Air Canada Check In Times?
You will have to mark your presence before the deadline given based on the country you are flying to. Accordingly, the Air Canada check in times get determined.
|Arrival Destination||Desired Airport Arrival Time|
|To and from the US||120 minutes before the flight’s departure|
|Inside Canada||120 minutes prior to the departure|
|International Destinations||180 minutes before take-off|
Other than this, the following table gives the deadline for the check-in and baggage drop-off based on the different destinations:
|Arrival Destination||Desired Airport Arrival Time|
|To and from the US||60 minutes prior to the flight’s departure|
|Inside Canada||45 minutes before the plane’s departure|
|International Destinations||60 minutes prior to the take-off|
What are the Check In Rules for Flights from Toronto Pearson?
The Air Canada check-in regulations are slightly different on flights traveling from Toronto. These are as given below:
- If a flight is set to take off before 9.00 A.M., arrive at least 3 hours before the departure.
- Before checking in, you are required to submit a COVID-19 test result.
- The deadline for check-in is 90 minutes before the take-off.
- In case you have an extra baggage allowance, deposit it before the deadline.
- No exceptions will be made for Priority or Nexus customers.
- Once the check in is completed, you should wait in the signage line.
Are there Check In Rules for Flights to the US?
When you are traveling from any country to the US, you are required to follow the given regulations for check in for Air Canada:
- The gates open at 4:30 A.M. Montreal-Trudeau (YUL) for customs check-in.
- They open at 5:00 A.M. for security screening.
- You will have to check in before the gates close at around 8:00 P.M.
Note: You can do so 24 hours in advance online or 12 hours in advance through a self-service kiosk.
How to Access the Air Canada Check In Facility?
There are three main modes on Air Canada for checking in online. You can choose any of the following:
- Using the website
- Through a self-service kiosk
- Via airport agents
Method 1: Through the Website
Air Canada boarding pass check in can be done online using the main website of the site. It can be done at any time before you board the flight.
Tip: The online check-in is also called “mobile check-in” since the site can be accessed from your phone.
- Go to the main site of the operator.
- From the list of options provided on the homepage, select the “check-in” option.
- Here, enter your:
- “Booking Reference”
- “Passenger Last Name”
- Then, click on the “Check-in” button.
- You will now be able to view your booking.
- Read the on-screen directions and follow along.
- Once it is done, you will receive a confirmation mail to your registered address.
Note: All kinds of ticket holders with any fare type can use the Air Canada web check in option.
Exceptions to Air Canada Online Check in
The following exceptions apply to online/web check-ins:
- When the booking contains more than 9 passengers, you cannot use it.
- Flights operated by another carrier cannot avail of this feature.
- It is unavailable when the airport you are traveling from has no online service.
Connecting flights can be checked into through the Air Canada check in online method.
Method 2: From the Airport Kiosk
Passengers who have made their reservations using the official Air Canada website or a travel agent can utilize the kiosk for checking in.
- You will simply have to go to the self-service kiosk at the departure airport.
- Select the check-in feature.
- Submit the necessary details.
- Confirm your reservation through the correct booking number.
- Follow the instructions given on the kiosk.
- Obtain your boarding pass and get it printed as well.
You can also use the kiosk for performing other activities like paying the fee for Air Canada checked in baggage, managing your booking, etc
Method 3: With the Help of Airline Agents
It is mandatory for some of the passengers to check in via agents:
- When flying with a pet in the baggage
- All the children traveling alone as unaccompanied minors
- Those who need medical services and supporting devices like wheelchairs
- Travelers who have a special request.
To contact the airline’s agents, you can use any of the contact numbers given here:
|Argentina||0 800 345 1540|
|Bulgaria||00 800 66 99 2222|
|Colombia||01 8 00 518 9401|
|General||000 800 040 1885|
To find more numbers associated with other areas, go to the “Contact Information” page on the carrier’s website.
What is the Check In Time for Connecting Flights on Air Canada?
When your itinerary involves connecting flights, you must be extra careful owing to the time constraints for Air Canada check in.
The following table gives the minimum connection time between different regions:
|Calgary||1 hour 15 min|
Note: The time mentioned in the above table applies to Air Canada Rouge and Express flights.
During this minimum time between the flights, the airline will:
- Perform security checks
- Conduct the transfer of baggage and changes in terminal
Check in Guidelines for Transition Flights:
- For connecting flights, you may require to repeat the process twice.
- If the second flight is operated by another carrier, the Air Canada online check in rules will only apply to the first one.
- On long-distance flights, the connection time provided will at least be an hour.
Consequences of Late Check-in for Connecting Trips
You will only be entitled to compensation when you fail to check in due to a delay from the carrier’s end. Otherwise, you will have to forego your booking and pay a penalty if required.
What are Air Canada Boarding Zones?
This carrier lets you board by zone for:
- Air Canada
- Air Canada Express
- Air Canada Rouge
Tip: To identify the zone, refer to your boarding pass.
On a priority basis, the zones and classes are as follows:
|Priority for Boarding||Eligibility of Passengers|
|Pre-boarding||For those who need wheelchairs or are disabled,|
|Zone 1||Domestic/Caribbean trip for Business or Premium Rouge class, Aeroplan Super Elite Member|
|Zone 2||Premium Economy, Premium Rouge (when flying internationally)Latitude tickets under Aeroplan 25k, 75K, 35K, 50K, Star Alliance GoldAeroplan black credit card holders (Primary/Secondary)|
|Zone 3 (General boarding)||For officially booked Comfort tickets, Preferred Seat holders, or when Zone 3 is mentioned|
|Involving family or music equipment||For bookings involving kids (under 6 years or need extra boarding time)When carrying musical items in hand baggage|
|Zone 4 or 5 (General boarding)||For the fliers of Air Canada, Air Canada Express, and Air Canada rouge|
|Zone 6||For Economy Basic fliers|
Air Canada Social Media Handles
Reaching out to the airline for minor queries can be time-consuming. Hence, you can use the carrier’s social media platforms for small questions about the Air Canada check-in policy.
The check-in policy of this airline discloses all the important details regarding time limits, deadlines, and different options. Notably, it is also designed to cater to all types of passengers traveling to various countries.
Frequently Asked Questions
Air guns can only be carried after getting approval from the concerned airline authorities.
You can check in one bag as your checked baggage.
Yes, online check-in can be done through the carrier’s website or on your mobile.
To avail of the Air Canada online check in feature, visit the official site of the airline.
You can revoke your ticket after check-in based on the type of fare you have selected.
Online check-ins can be done on this carrier for group reservations.
Online check-in can be done a few hours before the flight’s departure.
Yes, flights to all destinations, including international ones, can be checked-in online.
Name corrections and minor modifications can be made to your ticket.
You can do so by visiting the carrier’s website or calling the airline agents.
Yes, name modifications can be done on international tickets as well.
This depends on the type of name modification.
Minor changes do not take much time to be processed. The exact duration can be identified after officially contacting this carrier.
The airport you are traveling from may have no services for online check-in. Hence, you may be unable to do so.