The South American Airlines, Avianca is known to provide international flights to over 27 countries. Headquartered in Bogota, it has its main hubs in El Dorado and Soledad International airports. It was established in 1919 in Colombia. This airline rose to popularity as a result of its wide accessibility and customer satisfaction. It is renowned for meeting the flight requirements of different types of flyers. Hence, Avianca Airlines is one of the most preferred airlines among users of flight services.
For travelers looking to fly with the operator, it can become important to know its features, particularly the Avianca baggage policy. Baggage refers to the luggage, in the form of suitcases and bags carried by travelers during trips or migration. Hence, understanding the baggage policy of this airline can help the passengers in avoiding confusion while boarding Avianca flights.
Types of Baggage Allowed by Avianca
Under the Avianca baggage allowance 2020/2021 policy, the various types of baggage that you can carry include:
- Checked baggage
- Carry-on items
- Additional luggage
- Special baggage
The baggage policy of the airline has determined different dimensions for the weight and size allowed under each of the above-mentioned baggage types. It may be required by the passengers to adhere to these specifications to ensure safe travel.
Avianca Checked Baggage Policy
Checked baggage refers to the check-in luggage that is transported in the hold of the airplane. This baggage is deposited with the airline at the time of departure. It may not be available for use to the passengers during the journey. Later, it can be collected at the arrival airport.
Under the Avianca checked baggage allowance international/domestic policy, the weight and size allowed are as follows:
Avianca Checked Baggage Weight Limit
- The maximum weight limit is 50 lbs or 23 kilos.
- Travelers in Economy class can carry one piece of luggage up to 23 kilos or 2 pieces without exceeding the said weight.
- Flyers in Business class can bring 2 pieces of luggage up to 32 kg or 70 lbs.
Note: The region of your travel can influence the number of pieces of baggage allowed.
Avianca Checked Baggage Size Limit
- The limit on the external dimensions, which is the sum of the height, length, and width of the baggage, is 158 cm or 62 inches.
- Suitcases up to 230 cm or 90 inches can be accepted by the airline on the payment of additional costs.
Avianca Checked Baggage Fees
- The first bag of checked baggage can be free when it is within the weight limit.
- The fees for the second bag can start from $60.
- Avianca baggage fees for extra luggage can vary depending on the amount of excess over the weight limit.
Note: The members of the Star Alliance Gold can carry an excess of about 20 kg, irrespective of their ticket fares.
Avianca Airlines Carry-on Baggage Rules
Carry-on or hand baggage is the luggage that passengers can carry with them on board. It can be stored under the passenger’s seat or in the overhead compartment. A few of the Avianca carry-on items may include:
- Walking frames/crutches
- Diaper bag
- Photo equipment
Note: Conditions can be applied to the Avianca hand baggage policy.
Avianca Carry-on Weight Limit
- The maximum weight allowed for carry-on baggage is 10 kg or 22 lbs.
- Travelers can transport one piece of carry-on luggage in the upper compartment and one personal item under the seat without exceeding the weight limit.
Avianca Carry-on Size Limit
- In the case of carry-on bags stowed in the overhead bins, the size limit (sum of height, length, and width) can be 55 cm * 35 cm * 25 cm.
- When personal items are stored under the front seats, the maximum measurements of the height, length, and width of the items can be 45 cm * 35 cm * 25cm.
Avianca Carry-on Fees
- Carry-on baggage can be shipped for free when the weight and size limits are met under the Avianca Air baggage policy.
- In certain regions, the prices may vary depending on the fare type of your ticket, which can include XS, S, XL, and XXL.
- Overweight baggage can be charged COP 5,000 per additional kilo and may be transported in the hold.
Note: The items restricted under the carry-on baggage policy can include hazardous/flammable materials, aerosols, liquids, and gels exceeding 100 ml.
Avianca Additional Baggage Policy
Additional baggage includes the pieces of luggage that exceed the standard weight and size limit rules. The charge for such baggage is not included in the ticket fares. Hence, passengers can be required to pay extra costs for their transport.
Additional Baggage Weight Conditions
- Items carried by the travelers can be categorized under Avianca additional baggage when they exceed 46 kg or 101 lbs.
- For the flights traveling back and forth from Europe, the baggage weight approved is only 32 kg or 70 lbs per piece. Anything going over this limit is considered as additional baggage and a fee is charged.
Additional Baggage Size Conditions
- For additional baggage fees to be charged, the sum of the external measurements (length+width+height) should be more than 158 cm or 62 inches.
- Avianca Airlines considers all luggage surpassing 230 cm or 90.5 inches as additional baggage in case of sports equipment.
Avianca Additional Baggage Fees
- In the case of domestic flights, the extra baggage fee for the first piece can be – COP 65,000; for the second piece – COP 95.000; and for the lounge carry-on – COP 100.000.
- During international flights, the additional fee for the first extra baggage can be USD 60; for the second piece – USD 75; and the boarding carry-on – USD 30.
- The Avianca additional baggage costs may change in case of flights to Spain, and flights within Ecuador.
Tip: To avail of discounts on the extra baggage fee, you can directly book your flights with the official site of Avianca – www.avianca.com.
Avianca Special Baggage Allowance Policy
With the Avianca baggage policy, international flyers can access the opportunity to carry special items. These items can be transported only when they satisfy the terms of the official baggage policy.
Various items that passengers can travel with under special baggage include:
- Sporting Items: Bowling, tennis, fishing, and archery equipment
- Baby Equipment: Baby seat, baby stroller, and umbrella car less than 20 pounds or 9 kg
- Instruments: Guitars, trumpets, and drums not exceeding 10 kg or 22 lbs
- Electronics: Tablets, iPad, electronic vapes, and lithium batteries within 1ooWH may be allowed
Avianca Special Baggage Weight and Size Approved
- The airline’s special baggage weight limits are similar to the Aviance Economy baggage allowance, that is, 23 kg or 50 lbs.
- In the case of any type of instrument, the weight limit can be 45 kg or 99.2 lbs.
- The linear measurements of the special luggage items should not exceed 158 cm or 62 inches.
- For pieces of equipment with an assigned chair, the weight should be within 75 kg or 153 lbs.
Avianca Special Baggage Fees
- For items going over the limits of the mentioned weight and size, additional costs may have to be paid.
- This cost can be COP 65,000 for Columbian domestic flights and USD 60 for international ones.
- However, the Avianca overweight baggage fee can depend on the type of ticket fare purchased by the travelers.
Other Avianca Baggage Services and Irregularities
With the Avianca baggage policy, the airline aims to ensure a smooth shipment of the traveler’s luggage. Therefore, in case of any irregularities, you can easily connect with the airline to get your baggage checked. Some conditions may apply during the delay or misplacement of your baggage as follows:
- To claim your delayed baggage, you may be required to submit your original ticket and travel document. After further inspection, your baggage can be delivered to you within 24 hours.
- Any lost items can be reported at the call center of the airline. You may claim them at the baggage center after submitting your boarding pass.
- You can present any claims regarding damage to your luggage within 7 days.
- On observing the misplacement of carry-on baggage, the compensation provided by the airline may be limited. This condition may apply to the items in custody that include:
- Fragile items like art pieces, money, medical documents, and antique pieces
- Electronic items like USB drives, iPad, game consoles, and digital tablets
- Perishable food items that need refrigeration
Note: The airline may allow for the provision of compensation kits if the delayed luggage is not delivered within the stipulated period of time as mentioned under the Avianca baggage allowance 2020 or 2021 policy.
Being one of the most popular international flight providers, this airline can see several travelers selecting it. For ensuring good experience to each, the conditions or terms of the airline should be met by the travelers. Hence, the Avianca baggage policy has been made with every term detailed and simplified. With the details known, passengers can ensure that the conditions are satisfied by them and thus, look forward to a positive experience.
FAQs – Avianca Baggage Policy
On Avianca, you can carry your first checked bag for free without extra charges, considering that it is well within the weight limits specified by the airline. For checking in your second bag, you have to pay additional Avianca Airlines baggage fees. This fee usually starts at around USD 60 and can vary based on your destination. If you go over the weight and size limits of checked baggage, then you will be charged extra fees in addition to the regular charges
No fee is charged on the transport of carry-on baggage given that your items adhere to the weight and size restrictions. This free allowance applies to all the items brought under carry-on luggage. But you will be subject to paying additional fees when your carry-on items exceed the weight limitations. For every additional kilo of the item, you will be charged COP 5,000.
Passengers who wish to carry luggage exceeding 46 kg or 101 lbs will have to pay extra baggage fees. Its amount will depend on the amount of extra luggage you want to take along. Your flight route also affects the Avianca extra baggage charges. Usually, they can range from USD 30 to USD 75. The additional charges for checked luggage vary from those for carry-ons.
The maximum size allowed for checked luggage includes the entire external dimensions of height, length, and width. The size limit is 62 inches for your bags. For suitcases, this limit can go up to 90 inches. These are the standard measurements and any luggage exceeding these conditions will be considered additional baggage.
As per the Avianca baggage carry-on allowance policy, passengers are permitted to bring a variety of items on board. These Avianca carry-on items include handbags, laptops, crutches, walking frames, photo equipment, and diaper bags. However, hazardous items like flammable materials, firearms, aerosols, and gels will be prohibited. Safe liquids, not exceeding 100 ml, can also be taken.
The number of checked bags that you can carry on this airline is determined by your ticket fare and class of service. Economy ticket holders can bring 2 checked bags with the Avianca baggage weight limit of 23 kgs or 50 lbs. Passengers in the Business Class can carry 2 bags not exceeding 32 kgs/70 lbs.
The maximum carry-on weight allowed on Avianca flights is 10 kg or 22 lbs. Travelers can easily bring 2 pieces of carry-on luggage without going over this weight limit. It should be able to fit in the storage space of overhead bins and under the seats.
The Avianca extra bag fees include COP 65.000 for the first extra bag and COP 95.000 for the second one on domestic flights. For carrying extra lounge carry-on luggage, you will have to pay COP 100.00. On international flights, this fee starts at USD 60 for the first bag and USD 75 for the next. USD 30 will be charged for bringing extra boarding carry-on luggage.
When you go over the given weight limit for carry-on luggage, that is, 22 lbs/10 kgs, you will be asked to pay an additional fee. It will be COP 5,000 per extra kilo. Should you not wish to pay this, then you will have to remove some items from your carry-on luggage in order to meet the weight restrictions.
As per the Avianca baggage policy, this airline does not charge for luggage that obeys the weight and size restrictions. Similarly, your first checked-in luggage will also not be charged an additional amount. You will be liable to pay extra charges only if your baggage exceeds the standard limit. Therefore, no, Avianca does not charge for baggage when you follow the norms set under the policy.
Depending on the weight of your luggage, you will have to pay charges on Avianca. For checked luggage, they can range from COP 65.000 to COP 100.00. For carry-ons, the fee can be around COP 5,000. On international flights, a cost ranging between USD 30 and USD 75 can be applied.