The United Airlines cancellation policy is created to deal with flight reversals due to various factors. It works by following specific rules to make sure that flight revocations can be done with ease. It includes the rules for 24-hour and COVID-19 reversals too. Depending on when and how a flyer wants to cancel a revoke, he or she can choose from various methods of cancellation.
- Flight Cancellation Rules of this Carrier
- United Airlines’ 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
- United Cancellation Policy for the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Procedures for Canceling Flights
- United Airlines Refund Policy
- How do I make a United Airlines Refund Request?
- Cancellation Policy for MileagePlus Miles Members
- How to Cancel a Flight Reserved with Miles?
- United Airlines Cancellation Fee
- United Airlines Cancel Flight Policy
- United Airlines Flight Cancellation Compensation
- United Airlines Cancelled Flights Tips
Flight Cancellation Rules of this Carrier
In certain instances, the passengers may want to use United Airlines’ cancel flight service. For that reason, this policy plays a significant role. It provides travelers with a simple revocation process by following its rules.
- This policy only applies to flights that are purchased directly from this airline via:
- The website
- Ticket counter
- Customer help center
- When the ticket is booked by utilizing the United gift voucher, he/she may receive a digital travel coupon in exchange for money.
- Once the flight has been reversed by the airline, ask for a refund.
- Given that you don’t finish check-in promptly, this carrier may not be responsible for giving back any payment.
- Whenever it comes to booking, the airline has separated tickets into 2 categories:
- Non-refundable tickets
- Refundable bookings
- For the above-mentioned categories, the reversal rules can differ.
When the Booking is Refundable:
- You can revoke your flight at any time.
- In this case, you will receive a full refund too.
For Non-refundable Tickets:
- A flyer can only reverse these within 24 hours after purchasing them.
- You may not get the money back either.
- Nevertheless, you may use the money to reserve your new flight.
United Airlines’ 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
For quick reversals, there is a 24-hour reversal policy of this airline. It is for those travelers who do not intend their journey to proceed with the carrier due to varying reasons.
- It allows you to reverse your flight within twenty-four hours of your reservation.
- When a flier purchases a ticket, the 24 hours duration will commence.
- It includes canceling your reservation.
- With this, it is easier to receive a full refund.
- Additionally, it gives you access to a risk-free period, suitable for most fliers.
- This policy can be applied when you have reserved your flight through the:
- Airport ticket kiosks
- Customer assistance center
- Official site of this operator
Note: All the money-back requests may be processed in the actual mode of payment except the ticket reserved with a United gift voucher.
For Basic Economy Fliers
- Cancel your trip within twenty-four hours.
- Ensure that a week is left before the departure time.
- You can get the entire refund.
Policy for Members:
- Users of Money + Miles cannot use this policy.
- But those who have a membership of MileagePlus can cancel a trip and reserve a new one.
Limitations of this Feature:
- The tickets bought by passengers with e-certificates may not be eligible under this.
- Money and Miles flight tickets cannot be revoked.
United Cancellation Policy for the COVID-19 Pandemic
Sometimes, coronavirus regulations may affect the travel arrangements of flyers. It may lead to the revocation of their reservations too. To avoid such circumstances, the United Airlines cancellation policy for COVID-19 has been created. It assists travelers during their medical emergencies.
As a part of this framework:
- There may not be a cancellation fee for the flights reversed.
- A flyer can ask for the complete refund or money-back of the ticket.
- Or, the ticket can be used to travel in the future.
Procedures for Canceling Flights
Passengers have a number of approaches to using the cancel flight option provided by this carrier. They can revoke the flights by using the online process with ease. Or else, they can contact the airline. Additionally, they can visit the airport counter and cancel the reservation.
Method 1: Via the Website
As per the United flight cancellation policy, a passenger can revoke his or her flight by navigating to the airline’s site. By utilizing the My Trips option, you can easily cancel your flight with United. Post providing information to the operator, you can reverse your flight in some time.
The following are the detailed steps for using the canceled flight option:
- First, please access the website of United Airlines.
- On the homepage of the site, you can look for the “My Trips” section.
- Then, in the appropriate field, you will have to insert your:
- “Confirmation Code”
- Click on the “Search” option.
- The next step is to navigate to the flight that you want to revoke from the list.
- Further, you can reverse the flight by using the “Cancel” tab next to it.
Note: Always check the information of the flight twice while deciding to revoke.
The airline should now send you a message as soon as your reservation is canceled on your registered email ID.
Method 2: Through Calling
In a few situations, for some passengers, contacting the airline offline to revoke their reservations is preferable. By using this option, an agent will connect with you personally. Then you can ask for the flight cancellations service.
Tip: This option is helpful for the last-minute revocation of a booking.
- Once you connect with the personnel via call, ask him/her to revoke your trip.
- Provide the details regarding your booking such as the:
- Entire name
- Confirmation code
- Flight number
- The flight reversal procedure should begin soon.
- You may need to pay a service fee when necessary.
At last, you will receive a confirmation email regarding the revocation of the booking.
When you have to reverse 1 booking in case of multiple reservations, you can choose only a single ticket.
Note: Additionally, a passenger can either request a refund or book a new trip when his/her flight has been reversed.
Method 3: By Visiting the Airport
Under the United Airlines flight cancellation policy, the most simple way to revoke the booking is via the airport counter. While using this procedure, you can contact the officials of the operator.
- You will have to visit the ticket counter of this company at the airport.
- Meet the officials for your query.
- Inform one of them regarding the flight revocation request.
- Then she/he may ask you for the details of the reservation.
- The official will go ahead with the procedure.
- At last, you will be informed about the completion of the cancellation of the booking.
Sometimes, the carrier assistance desk may be closed for a variety of reasons. Similarly, you may not be able to cancel your United flight when flexibility is not available. Hence, arriving at the airport far before the departure time can be beneficial for a passenger.
United Airlines Refund Policy
The refund policy may specify that when cancellations have been successfully done, a certain sum may be refunded. A passenger can ask for the amount usually on the refundable tickets. Non-refundable tickets cannot be eligible for this in all instances.
Note: You can verify whether your flight ticket is non-refundable or refundable at the reservation time on the official website.
Please read more conditions of this feature to exercise it better:
- When COVID-19 has disrupted your travel plan, you may be eligible for a refund.
- A passenger may be provided the money or future travel credit.
- The money can be given to the actual source of payment.
- This source will depend on the:
- Ticket type
- Nature of the itinerary interruption
- You may have to fill out the form of refund when you are already done with the process or reversal.
- The carrier may contact you soon to inform you that your ticket is eligible for money-back.
- Usually, the credit card refund procedure can take around 7 working days.
- After receiving the receipt, your concern will be handled.
- All other requests can be processed within 20 days.
- Payouts for flight ticket in foreign places may take a longer period.
Note: A passenger can claim his or her money back through both online and offline processes.
- The rules of this policy can differ for the following regions:
|Type of Ticket||Eligibility for Refunds||Requirements||Processing Period|
|Refundable||Yes||Cancellation receipt||Around 7 business days in general, Nearly 14 working days during COVID-19|
|Non-refundable||No/Exceptional||Receipt/Supportive documents||As per the situation|
For Unforeseen Events
Due to the following reasons, you may undo your trip and seek a refund:
- Family member’s death
- Summons relating to jury duty
The carrier can assist you better and address your concerns during these times. Prior to submitting your request, collect the relevant documents.
When your canceled flight was departing from the following, you can seek assistance in compliance with EU Regulation 261/2004:
- European Union
How do I make a United Airlines Refund Request?
Passengers who have used the canceled flight service can obtain a refund. The online method can be used to submit a request for this. By visiting the site of the operator, you can request your money back.
The main steps for placing an online refund request are mentioned below:
- Search for “United Airlines Refund Form” on your browser.
- You will find a form available for “Request a Refund”.
- Mention all the details asked in that form.
- The details may also include the “Contact Information”.
- Once you provide it, add the reason for your request.
- Post writing your reason, mention the email from which the airline can get in touch with you.
- Click on the “Submit” option.
- When you are eligible for a flight refund, the carrier can notify you.
- A passenger may also view the status of his/her request on the refund form page.
- Later, you can wait for the airline to respond.
United’s cancellation policy indicates that a traveler can also make a request for money back by calling the airline officials. Or else, you can visit the airline’s office and claim your refund.
Cancellation Policy for MileagePlus Miles Members
The following are the MileagePlus program’s rules and regulations. They govern the redemption and earning of the miles, advantage, prize, as well as million miler and premier advantages when canceling flights.
- By participating in the program, a flyer can acknowledge that she/he has:
- read and understood the regulations
- and agrees to follow them.
- A passenger can contact the MileagePlus customer help center for additional information on United Airlines flight cancellations.
- You may have to pay a charge to revoke an award booking less than 30 days before departure.
- Award tickets can invite fees, especially when miles have to be redeposited.
- You can receive a Miles refund.
- A person can cancel a flight when paid with MileagePlus miles.
- When you reverse your flight ticket a minimum of 31 days before departure, you may not have to pay a cost.
- You may receive the credits redeposited into your MileagePlus account.
How to Cancel a Flight Reserved with Miles?
A flyer can initiate canceling a flight by contacting the MileagePlus customer assistance center. You can get the contact numbers from the website of the carrier. You can follow simple steps to reverse the booking.
The detailed steps on how to cancel a ticket as per this policy are given below:
- Kindly, open the official site of the airline.
- On the homepage of the website, find the “MileagePlus Program” option.
- Select the “Contact MileagePlus” feature.
- On another page, look for the “Phone” tab.
- Below that option, you can get the details for contacting the officials.
- Once you call the agent, you will be guided through the whole process of revocation.
- At last, you will receive a confirmation email of the flight’s reversal.
Note: To obtain a refund, you can remain signed in and apply for the same. Otherwise, you can ask for it on the phone.
United Airlines Cancellation Fee
When a flier decides to reverse a booking, he or she will not be charged a cancellation fee. The policy of this airline lets travelers revoke their trips for free. However, free reversals do not ensure guaranteed refunds.
United Airlines Cancel Flight Policy
Sometimes, United Airlines flights canceled by the airline itself. When United Airlines cancel flights, there can be several reasons for this. One of the reasons is that bad weather may cause issues with flying. The carrier will not endanger the life of its travelers in this scenario.
Some other possible reasons for revoking trips are as follows:
- Problems with take-off
- Issues with the mechanical system
- Computer-related errors
- Flights are overbooked
- Difficulties on the runway
- Flights may be excessively delayed
- COVID-19 rules may pose some limitations
- Natural disasters
- Air traffic
At times, not following the rules of the other policies set by the airline may result in cancellations too. Especially with respect to United Airlines baggage policy, abiding by its terms is more essential, failing which you may be denied boarding.
United Airlines Flight Cancellation Compensation
This airline can cancel and delay flights. Whatever the reason for the airline’s delay or revocation of your reservation, you may get compensation. This can be given for adjusting the loss or inconvenience faced by the passengers.
The amount provided by United Airlines can depend on factors like location. At times, services can be given instead of money.
Note: Help in this scenario can be given in sync with the “Air Passenger Protection Regulations”.
- When a passenger arrives from the European Union or Canada, he or she can visit the customer help department to get:
- hotel stays
- complimentary food
- drink coupons
- You may be rescheduled on a new flight to your location. However, you may not get the above-mentioned facilities.
To choose this flight, prefer one of the following options:
- Airport kiosk
- Official mobile application (under “Check-in”)
- Authorized website
Note: Please keep in mind that when you are eligible for this, the amount may vary as per the number of hours delayed or the reason why United Airlines is canceling flights.
When your flight originates in Canada, you may receive:
|Amount Reimbursed||Hours that have been Pushed Back|
|CAD $1000||9 hours and more|
|CAD $400||3 to 6 hours|
|CAD $700||6 to 9 hours|
Note: Within 12 hours, when you have been informed about the hindrances to your trip, you can get facilities like calling, refreshments, hotel stays, etc.
When you travel out of the EU, the compensation to cancel your flights can be as follows:
|Hours Leading to Delay/Cancellation||Compensation|
|3 hours or more/Boarding not allowed||€600Or, re-routing in 4 hours along with €300|
|5 or additional hours||Re-routing, Or, reimbursement in 7 days|
Additionally, you can get:
- Amount via a prepaid card
When is Compensation not Given?
A ticket that is not confirmed or unavailable to people in any way is not included in this policy. Hence, it cannot be reimbursed. There are more limitations that indicate when compensation can’t be given.
- The reversal was informed 15 days prior to the fixed departure.
- This airline had no control over the situation involving safety concerns.
- Reimbursement for denied boarding has been provided.
- You have been compensated as per some other rights.
- The request for the claim has been made after 1 year.
Regulation EC 261/2004 and Compensation
On the basis of this regulation, fliers are compensated under the subsections of “Your Rights”: A, B, and C. But United Airlines may not assist you when it has informed you in advance about discontinuation. You can go through EC 261/2004 to understand further.
Rebook Your Flight
When possible, you can book a discontinued flight again. This method applies in case you have used My Trips to revoke your trip online. While you do so, you will find the option – Use Future Flight Credit. Then you can go through new flights and use this benefit during the process.
United Airlines Cancelled Flights Tips
Professional airlines such as United require a certain time for cancellations and refunds to be processed. As soon as a traveler decides to cancel a flight, the processes can be expedited. Speaking of only this airline, it has established the United cancellation policy for quick help.
In addition to this tip, you can find more below:
- For cost-free cancellations and other benefits, see to it that you take an assured decision within twenty-four hours.
- When you are revoking flights because of the coronavirus, keep the relevant medical reports in hand.
- Ensure that the dates on the reports are recent.
- Go for online cancellations when you are an international flier.
- Airport-based reversals are suitable at the last minute.
- Since refunds can take more than a few days to be received, ensure that the requests are raised as early as possible.
- Use only accurate details in the requests for no hassles in receiving the amount.
Contacting Help Center for Additional Assistance
Travelers may have queries in relation to flight discontinuations. To resolve the specific ones, they can get in touch with United’s Help Center. There are 2 ways to connect with it. These are mentioned as follows:
1. Through Chat
Look for the official page of this airline’s Help Center. Then click on the link available for the chat option. In the chat window, you have to mention “Let’s chat”. Then you can select an option appearing afterward. Otherwise, you can directly write and send your query.
2. Via Phone Number Directory
This carrier has provided a directory with contact numbers listed for various purposes. Mainly, they work for the following locations:
- United States
You can dial the region-specific numbers and get assistance for queries to revoke your flights. The following information should help you:
|1-800-864-8331||For current or future trips|
|1-800-323-0170||24-hour help for disabled fliers|
For help in different languages, refer to the information below:
|1-800-551-0943||Cantonese||8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.||Everyday|
|1-800-225-8612||Dutch||2:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.||Monday to Friday|
|1-800-537-2999||German||1:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.||Everyday|
|1-800-537-3444||French||1:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.||Everyday|
|1-800-537-3366||Japanese||8:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m||Everyday|
|1-800-551-3062||Mandarin||8:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.||Everyday|
|1-800-225-8610||Hebrew||11:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.||Monday to Friday|
|1-800-323-5359||Portuguese||2:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.||Everyday|
|1-800-825-2136||Korean||9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.||Monday to Friday|
|1-800-537-8885||Italian||1:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.||Everyday|
In the case of other locations, fliers and MileagePlus users can prefer using these phone numbers:
|Location||Contact Numbers||Phone Numbers (MileagePlus)||Phone Number for Ticket Office|
|Ghana||–||–||+233(0) 302 243 893,+233(0) 302 243 895|
|South Africa||0214268058||0214268058||+27 (11) 463-1170|
|Japan||(81)-3-6732-5011||(81)-3-6732-5022 or 03-6732-502||–|
|The People’s Republic of China (Excluding Hong Kong)||400 883 4288||–||–|
|Philippines||1800 87989915 – GLOBE1800 14411136 – SMART/PLDT/SUN||–||–|
|Vietnam||662-652-6087 (Hanoi)84-28-3930-6613(Ho Chi Minh City)||–||–|
|Australia||131-777||1 300 651 815||–|
|New Zealand||0800-747-400||0800 673 5937||–|
|Antigua & Barbuda||800-231-0856||–||–|
|Cuba||119-1-847-700-2822011-53-7838-2881||Choose 2 after calling||–|
|Turks & Caicos||800-864-8331||–||–|
|Trinidad & Tobago||800-461-2744||–||–|
|U.S. Virgin Islands||800-231-0856||–||–|
The cancellation policy of this carrier is a complete feature that provides for the requirement of different travelers around the world. It assists passengers with flight cancellations as well as offers refunds on revocations.
Frequently Ask Questions
Yes, this air operator has formed a policy for 24-hour reversals.
When there are only twenty-four hours left before your plane’s take-off, you can discontinue your trip.
On this airline, all passengers can get free revocations.
After purchasing a ticket, you can easily reverse it in twenty-four hours.
No, this operator does not apply fees on discontinuing trips.
Through this airline’s refund form, you can share your contact information and also apply to get your money back.
Usually, within 7 to 14 days, you can get your refund.
There is no fee for revoking tickets on this airline.
Up to 24 hours before your plane is set to depart, you can undo a trip.
Economy class tickets can be refundable when you reverse them within 24 hours after purchasing.
This carrier does not apply fees when tickets are revoked. So, yes, it is possible to waive them.
To find out whether this operator is revoking trips, you can contact it and check the status.
Yes, you can use the twenty-four-hour policy to revoke Basic Economy trips.
You may be able to get credits when the carrier discontinues your flight.
This policy works via some rules and regulations that need to be followed by the passengers.
On this airline, you do not have to pay a fee when you revoke your trip.
Yes, United Airlines compensate travelers for their discontinued flights.
United can undo flights due to some crucial reasons but the frequency may not be high.
A passenger can revoke a flight due to various reasons.
In case this carrier revokes your trip, you can seek compensation or a refund.
There is no fee charged by the airline when you undo a booking.
A passenger can be permitted to reverse his or her flight within 24 hours on this carrier.
When a traveler discontinues a non-refundable ticket, he or she cannot get any refund.
Yes, this air operator provides a refund to its customers for the reversal of flights.
A traveler can use credit on this airline to book trips in the future.
It is a policy that provides assistance during the pandemic and helps with reversals.
Yes, this carrier allows the free revocation of a ticket.
When you cancel a trip, you may not find any penalty or fee applied.
Yes, Basic Economy fliers can use this policy and undo their tickets with ease.
An important rule of the policy is to first see whether your ticket is refundable or non-refundable. Then it can be discontinued under a few conditions.