To make travel safer for children, this carrier has introduced the LATAM Airlines unaccompanied minor policy. Through this, underage passengers will be allowed to fly without their parents or guardians. All the necessary steps will be taken by the carrier to ensure their comfort. Thus, all the regulations applicable to such transport are revealed by this policy.
- What Rules to Follow to Book LATAM Unaccompanied Minor Service?
- Is there Acceptance Eligibility for LATAM Airlines Unaccompanied Minors?
- What are the Benefits Enjoyed by LATAM Unaccompanied Minors?
- Are there Seating Conditions for LATAM Unaccompanied Minors?
- Will Unaccompanied Minors be Tracked on LATAM Airlines?
- How Much is the LATAM Unaccompanied Minor Fee?
- Is LATAM Unaccompanied Minor Travel Facility Available for Disabled Passengers?
- Are there Rules for Guardians/Parents of LATAM Unaccompanied Minors?
- Can I Change/Cancel LATAM Unaccompanied Minor Bookings?
- How to Make a Reservation for LATAM Unaccompanied Minors?
- Method 1: with the LATAM Website
- Method 2: Contacting the Airline Agents
- Method 3: Using the LATAM Application
- Are there Special Conditions Applicable to the LATAM Unaccompanied Minor Policy?
- Will EMD be Issued to LATAM Unaccompanied Minors?
- Connecting with LATAM Agents via Social Media
What Rules to Follow to Book LATAM Unaccompanied Minor Service?
When you wish to make a reservation for the LATAM unaccompanied minor facility, follow the general rules and regulations given under this policy. These are as follows:
- The request for travel has to be put forward at least 48 hours before the departure.
- The booking should be made for both departures and return flights.
- Underage fliers can fly in any cabin without any restriction.
- It is mandatory to pay the additional fee for making such a reservation.
- There will be no exception to flight check-in on LATAM for underaged passengers.
- The check-in process must be completed by the parent or guardian of the child.
- The reservation has to be made through the official sources of this carrier.
- Unaccompanied kids under the age of 12 will not be allowed to fly with LATAM Airlines pets.
- It is necessary for the legal caretaker or the parent of the child to stay until the take-off.
Limitations of the Unaccompanied Minor Policy:
As per this policy, certain young children will not be allowed to travel alone, owing to various reasons. Such limitations of the LATAM Airlines unaccompanied minor policy include:
- Kids who require medication during the flight cannot travel alone.
- The child must be able to attend to their own needs.
- Any flier with long-term medical conditions might not be allowed to fly alone.
Is there Acceptance Eligibility for LATAM Airlines Unaccompanied Minors?
There is some eligibility needed to access the LATAM Unaccompanied minor service, depending on the age range of the flier and flight itinerary.
For children between the age of 8 and 11:
- These passengers will only be accepted on direct flights of the carrier.
- It is mandatory to register under the minor service reservation.
- The acceptance of these passengers on codeshare flights is not guaranteed.
When customers are between the age of 12 and 17:
- They will be accepted on both direct and connecting flights.
- However, the connecting flight should not be the only one or the last one for the day.
- The connecting time should not be more than 4 hours.
- Solo kids will not be approved on flights that need a ground connection to different airports.
- The connecting flight itinerary should not include codeshare flights.
- Underage fliers will only be accepted if the connections are booked to the same flight.
Note: It is not mandatory for minors between the ages of 12 and 17 to use this policy.
Maximum Number of Minors Accepted:
Based on the capacity of the aircraft, the arrival destination, and the flight itinerary, the number of kids accepted will differ. The general number given by the LATAM unaccompanied policy is mentioned below:
- On flights with only one walkway, 3 young passengers will be permitted.
- A maximum of six children will be allowed on planes with 2 walkways.
Note: To know the exact number of children on your reservation, contact this airline.
What are the Benefits Enjoyed by LATAM Unaccompanied Minors?
When your child is flying alone, this airline assumes the responsibility to ensure his/her safety and comfort. In this regard, the following benefits and facilities are offered to these fliers:
- Agents will accompany the lone kid as soon as the check-in process is completed.
- The boarding of the child will be taken care of by the assigned agent.
- While on board, the staff will keep a constant check on the young traveler.
- All their needs will be immediately catered to.
- At stopovers, the authorities will ensure to complete the security check-in proceedings.
- Immigration proceedings, if any, will be taken care of.
- The unaccompanied minor on LATAM will be handed over to the parent at the arrival airport.
Note: At any point during the journey, parents can contact agents to check the condition of children.
Are there Seating Conditions for LATAM Unaccompanied Minors?
When traveling alone, children can only occupy certain designated seats as a measure to confirm their safety. The seating arrangement given by the LATAM unaccompanied minor policy is as follows:
- They will be accommodated on seats from the third to last row.
- The arrangement will be the same in a different block of seats.
- Details of the arrangement will be informed at the time of confirmation of the booking.
- Children will be prohibited from exchanging seats unless absolutely necessary.
Note: If you have objections to seats assigned to children, request a change to the authorities before departing.
Will Unaccompanied Minors be Tracked on LATAM Airlines?
The LATAM Airlines unaccompanied minor facility offers a tracking feature to protect children from getting lost. Under this feature:
- Those traveling without any company will be tracked.
- The location of the passenger will be known.
- Parents will be informed about the whereabouts when required.
- Sometimes, it might be necessary to pay extra charges to avail of this feature.
Note: Inform the airport staff on the day of departure about the travel of your kid so that he/she isn’t left behind.
How Much is the LATAM Unaccompanied Minor Fee?
In order to book a reservation, paying the LATAM unaccompanied minor fee is vital. This amount depends on the region and destination of travel.
|Brazil||149 Brazilian Dollars|
|Regional Flights||USD 100|
|Long Distance Flights||USD 150|
Regional flights include the following destinations:
- Within South America
- From/to South America and Central America
- To/from Auckland and Sydney
- Between Punta Cana and Miami
- From or to Madrid and Frankfurt
- To and from Santiago and Isla de Pascua
Long-distance flights include all those itineraries which are longer than 6 hours. These destinations include:
- Flights between South America and Europe
- Trips to and from North America, Asia Oceania
Other Applicable Rules:
Some of the other guidelines to be kept in view in regard to the LATAM unaccompanied minor service costs include the following:
- Taxes might be additionally added as per the rules of the departure country.
- Passengers must obtain the receipt of payment immediately.
- This receipt should be presented at the airport at the boarding.
Is LATAM Unaccompanied Minor Travel Facility Available for Disabled Passengers?
Young customers with disabilities will be allowed to travel under the unaccompanied minor LATAM policy subject to a few conditions.
- Kids must be able to board and disembark the flight on their own.
- Underaged passengers must be able to comprehend all the safety regulations.
- They must respond correctly to safety regulations.
- The hygiene of the passengers must be maintained by themselves.
- All the food and nutrition needs of minors should be taken care of by themselves.
- The parent of the disabled passenger must confirm to the airline that these regulations are met.
- Once satisfactory scrutiny is obtained by the airline, it will proceed with the request.
- You will then have to provide the SSRCKIN code to complete the booking process.
- The above conditions apply to both direct and indirect bookings.
Note: This airline will not permit minors to board the flight unless the required code is submitted.
Are there Rules for Guardians/Parents of LATAM Unaccompanied Minors?
Although the airline agents will take complete care of the young flier until they reach their destination, it is also the duty of the legal guardian to follow a few steps to ensure their safety.
- Parents must submit the “Transportation of Minor” form at the airport.
- The guardians should not leave the airport until their child’s flight has taken off.
- Legal proofs certifying the identity of the guardian must be submitted.
- The kid should be handed over to the agent with the parent’s consent.
Can I Change/Cancel LATAM Unaccompanied Minor Bookings?
Note that the LATAM Airlines unaccompanied minor policy does allow cancellations of these tickets but only under these circumstances:
- A ticket can only be modified when the ticket fare allows it.
- The tickets that are not confirmed will automatically be deemed canceled.
- An extra fee will have to be paid for all kinds of changes requested.
- This fee depends on the price of your original ticket.
Refunds on Canceled Tickets:
After the successful cancellation of LATAM flights for unaccompanied kids, passengers will have the chance to claim a refund under the given conditions:
- It must be requested before the take-off of the flight.
- The refund amount will be informed directly by the agents.
How to Make a Reservation for LATAM Unaccompanied Minors?
To make a booking for children traveling alone, you can either use the airline’s website, app, or phone number.
Method 1: with the LATAM Website
These steps reveal the details of the web procedure for booking tickets for minors:
- See “Flights” on the “LATAM Airlines” website.
- Here, enter all the details about the flight you wish to reserve.
- Under “1 Passenger”, select the number of children traveling.
- Set the number of adults to zero.
- Your ticket will now be recognized under the unaccompanied minor category.
- Now, click on the “Look for” button.
- The different available flights will now be visible. Select a suitable one.
- Follow the on-screen directions and complete the reservation process.
Other Required Details:
At the time of selection of suitable flights, provide the following details:
- The date of birth of the kid flying alone
- All the important details of the guardian or parent
- The adult’s relationship with the child (in case, not a parent)
- Information about the adult who will receive the kid at the arrival airport.
- Full name/contact number of the passenger booking the LATAM unaccompanied minor service.
Note: It is mandatory to have the SSR UMNR number on the ticket to be eligible for travel.
Method 2: Contacting the Airline Agents
Another way of registering the minor for travel includes calling the airline agents directly. To reach out to the authorities, you can use the contact details mentioned below:
|Country of Residence||Contact Details|
|Peru||(01) 213 8200|
|The United States||1 866 435 9526|
|The United Kingdom||0800 026 0728|
|Germany||0 800 627 0976|
|Chile||600 526 2000|
|New Zealand||0 800 700 647|
|Uruguay||000 4019 0223|
|Brazil||0300 570 5700|
|Cuba||1703 621 7414|
- Give all the details required under the LATAM Airlines unaccompanied minor policy.
- The agent will check the eligibility of the kid to travel solo.
- The request will be accepted when all the required conditions are met.
- You will then have to pay the necessary charges.
- The confirmation email will be sent to the registered address.
Note: For queries regarding bookings made via travel agencies, connect with the airline agents.
Method 3: Using the LATAM Application
Importantly, the LATAM Airlines mobile application of this airline is also a good option to make a reservation. Further, it will ensure a quick response from the authorities as well. In order to download this app, you can use:
- Google Play Store
- Apple App Store
Once the app is downloaded:
- Log in to your account.
- Go to the “Flights” section.
- Enter all the details about the flight to reserve it.
- Mention that no adults are traveling.
- Specify the number of children traveling.
- Follow the in-app instructions and make the required booking.
- Pay the fee.
- Recheck the details in the confirmation mail received.
Note: This application might not be available in all regions.
Are there Special Conditions Applicable to the LATAM Unaccompanied Minor Policy?
Based on your location, certain special conditions are applicable. These are mainly applicable to passengers traveling to Brazil.
- A TEEN code should be mentioned to be eligible for the minor booking.
- This code can be obtained from the travel agent or Sales Support Agent of LATAM.
- All the other requirements remain the same.
Will EMD be Issued to LATAM Unaccompanied Minors?
An EMD refers to an Electronic Miscellaneous Document that will be issued when the airline offers optional services like that of the unaccompanied minor facility. Kids will be issued EMDs under the following regulations:
- It will be issued with the same number as that of the original reservation.
- They will be issued when traveling to the following countries:
- South Africa
- They should be collected by the parent or guardian of the LATAM unaccompanied minor.
- Generally, these cannot be refunded.
Connecting with LATAM Agents via Social Media
In case you wish to get in immediate touch with the airline agents, you can try reaching out to them at their social media handles. This is helpful for resolving simple questions about the unaccompanied minor LATAM policy.
In summation, the LATAM Airlines unaccompanied minor policy enables parents to let their children travel alone safely. It offers a wide variety of benefits too, ensuring their comfort. Further, the simple booking process makes this feature easy to use.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, passengers aged 17 will be allowed to travel without their parents on this carrier.
As per this policy, children can travel alone, provided that the unaccompanied minor service is booked in advance.
The cost for booking this service is from USD 30 to 150.
Children from the age of 8 years can travel alone by booking the unaccompanied minor service beforehand.
No, it is necessary to provide all the required identity documents irrespective of the flight type.
Kids need to be at least 8 years of age to fly alone on international flights of this carrier.
Yes, the unaccompanied minor service will be made available to passengers of this age.
This airline puts in its best efforts to take all measures to ensure the safety of the children flying alone.
No, children traveling alone will not be permitted to carry pets in this carrier.
It is mandatory to pay the required amount of fees for a minor unaccompanied on LATAM.