Latam baggage policy is made for the passengers under the guidance of two major airlines: LAN and TAM. The rules and regulations of Latam Airlines have been easy to follow. The carry-on policy of this airline allows its visitors to take only essential items on the aircraft. This operator focuses on the security of its customers and has made some rigid rules on carrying prohibited items on the flight.
Latam Baggage Allowance for Checked Items
The airline, Latam, has set rules for checked items on the basis of its routes. These routes have been further divided into domestic, regional, and international destinations. Hence, Latam Airlines’ baggage allowance for domestic flights is different from that of regional and international flights.
The following are the regulations imposed by this operator for domestic itineraries:
- All the domestic flights of Latam Airlines allow the passengers to carry just a single bag of 23 kilograms.
- These domestic destinations include Argentina, Chile, Ecuador, Colombia, and Peru.
- Customers flying from Brazil can take as many bags as they want but that should not exceed 23 kilograms, as has been stated in Latam baggage allowance for domestic routes.
Latam Airlines Regional Flights Allowance
- On trips connecting Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru, passengers can take two bags up to 23 kilograms each in the Economy class.
- If customers are flying regionally in Premium Business or Premium Economy, then as per the Latam baggage policy of regional routes, they may bring up to three bags with a total of 69 kilograms.
Latam International Flight Baggage Allowance
- Visitors of Latam Airlines in the Economy cabin, departing from Brazil, can carry up to 64 kilos split between two 32 kilograms bags.
- Travelers in the Premium Business or Premium Economy cabins can carry up to three bags, based on the Latam international baggage policy. These bags have to measure a total of 96 kilos.
- In Economy class, planes between Ecuador/Peru and Europe allow two bags for passengers, each weighing 23 kilos.
- Visitors in the Premium Business or Premium Economy cabins are allowed to bring three bags totaling 69 kilos, as given in the policy for baggage allowance for Latam international flights.
Look at the below-given chart to understand the baggage allowance for checked bags at this airline:
|Route||Economy Promo & Light||Economy Plus||Economy Top||Premium Economy & Business|
|Domestic||No allowance||1 x 23 kg||2 x 23 kg||3 x 23 kg|
|Within South America||No allowance||1 x 23 kg||2 x 23 kg||3 x 23 kg|
|To/from the U.S.||2 x 23 kg||2 x 23 kg||2 x 23 kg||3 x 23 kg|
|To/from Europe||No allowance||1 x 23 kg||2 x 23 kg||3 x 23 kg|
|To/from the Caribbean||1 x 23 kg||1 x 23 kg||2 x 23 kg||3 x 23 kg|
|Other international flights||2 x 23 kg||2 x 23 kg||2 x 23 kg||3 x 23 kg|
Latam Baggage Fees for Taking Excess Items Onboard
Carrying additional items onboard applies basic Latam Airlines excess baggage fees. These fees are also dependent on the routes and the number of bags a passenger carries. When you are carrying excess items on a flight, you must inform the airline about the same. In addition, you can also purchase extra baggage online by contacting the operator.
Latam domestic baggage fees based on the different routes are as shown:
|Domestic Destinations||First Bag||Second Bag||Third Bag or 3+ Bags|
|Chile||CLP 10.990/CLP 25.000||CLP 19.990/CLP 28.000||CLP 50.000|
|Argentina||ARS 549/ARS 1100||ARS 749/ARS 1500||ARS 1800|
|Colombia||COP 35.900-45.900/COP 60000||COP 59.900-65.900/COP 90.000||COP 210.000|
|Ecuador||USD 10-15/USD 20||USD 20-25/USD 30||USD 70|
|Peru||USD 12-15/USD 25||USD 25-30/USD 35-40||USD 70|
The baggage fees of Latam Airlines based on the international routes are as follows:
|Routes||First Bag||Second Bag||Third Bag or 3+ Bags|
|South America||USD 20-30/USD 40-60||USD 50-60/USD 100-120||USD 150|
|The U.S.-Colombia||Cost-free||Cost-free||USD 100|
|The U.S.-Ecuador||Cost-free||Cost-free||USD 160|
|The U.S.-Brazil||Cost-free||Cost-free||USD 165|
|The U.S.-South America||Cost-free||Cost-free||USD 200|
|South America-The Caribbean||Cost-free||USD 100||USD 100|
|North America- The Caribbean||Cost-free||USD 100||USD 100|
|Europe- South America||USD 55/75||USD 100/150||USD 200|
|Oceania- South America||Cost-free||Cost-free||USD 200|
|French Polynesia||Cost-free||USD 150||USD 150|
Overweight or Oversized Latam Baggage Fees
The Latam Airlines baggage policy allows overweight as well as oversized items inside its cabin with additional fees. It is to be noted that the passengers should not exceed the size measurements of 158-300 centimeters in length. The customers must also not surpass the weight limitations of 32 kilograms for Business Class and First Class. For Economy and Premium Economy passengers, the allotted weight limit should be 23 kilograms.
Here are Latam overweight baggage fees depending upon the route of travel:
|Routes||23-32 Kgs Overweight||32-45 Kgs Overweight||Oversized Baggage|
|South America||USD 100||USD 200||USD 50|
|The U.S.-Colombia||USD 50||USD 100||USD 100|
|The U.S.-Ecuador||USD 80||USD 160||USD 100|
|The U.S.-Brazil||USD 110||USD 220||USD 100|
|The U.S.-South America||USD 100||USD 200||USD 100|
|South America-The Caribbean||USD 100||USD 200||USD 50|
|North America-The Caribbean||USD 50||USD 100||USD 100|
|Europe-South America||USD 100||Does not apply||USD 100|
|Oceania-South America||USD 100||Does not apply||USD 100|
|French Polynesia||USD 75||USD 100||USD 150|
Allowed Items at Latam Airlines
Certain items are allowed as per the policy for Latam Airlines hand baggage allowance. These items are allowed to pass the checkpoint of the airport. However, it must be kept in mind that the items that are to be taken as hand luggage must be presented at the screening.
The allowed items at this air carrier are as shown below:
- Laptop bags
- Diaper bags
- Reading material
- Baby food
- Car seat
- Hearing aids
- Makeup items
- Air mattresses
- Electronic devices
- Pillow covers
- Amenity kits
- Mobile Phones
Latam Baggage Policy of International Flights for Liquids
Liquids, sprays, creams, gels, and pastes are permitted through the checkpoint in one compact bag under Latam carry-on baggage allowance. Each container of the liquid is restricted to 3.4 ounces or less. TSA officials can swiftly examine these containers by putting them in a tiny bag apart from your carry-on luggage.
Latam Baggage Policy for Infants
Latam Airlines permits its passengers to bring their infants with them onboard. While boarding, they need to follow some guidelines which are necessary for the safety of the passengers and the infants. Described below are a few Latam Airlines rules while flying with infants:
- When the infant is less than one week old, he or she will need medical clearance to fly.
- Flying with a baby in one’s own seat necessitates the use of a licensed onboard seat.
- If a child reaches the age of two on the day of the flight, then he/she must fly in a separate seat. In this scenario, you have the option of purchasing a round-trip ticket at a child rate or paying the infant fare on the outgoing flight.
- By purchasing an extra seat for one of the newborns and paying for his/her ticket, any adult can fly with up to two babies.
- You are not permitted to carry an infant on your lap in the Premium Economy or Business cabins, as per the Latam baggage policy.
- You must pay the entire cost for your infant in the Premium Economy class since he/she will need his/her own ticket.
Latam Baggage Policy for Pets
Bringing pets inside the flights is approved by Latam Airlines. The regulations set by the air carrier for bringing pets must be obeyed by every customer flying with this operator. The regulations imposed by the Latam Airlines baggage policy are:
- Pet dogs and cats are permitted in the cabin with LATAM Airlines provided that the total weight of the pet and carrier does not exceed 15 pounds or 7 kilograms.
- While going to the United States, your pet has to be at least 8 weeks/4 months old.
- On LATAM Airlines, dogs and cats more than 8 weeks old can fly in the cargo hold.
- The maximum weight of the dogs is 32 kilograms, according to Latam Airlines check-in baggage allowance.
- Up to two adult canines of comparable size, weighing no more than 30 pounds can be transported in the hold.
- Hard-sided crates for animals going in the cabin should have a maximum dimension of 14″ x 13″ x 7.5″.
- Pet crates or carriers must be sturdy, well-ventilated, wide enough to support the animal, and be comfortable.
Sports Equipment Approved by Latam Airlines
A limited number of sports equipment are allowed to be carried on Latam flights. When the equipment involves prohibited items, extra fees have to be paid by the traveler flying with this air carrier. Here is the table representing which sports items can be taken following Latam Economy and Business Class baggage allowance:
|Bows and arrows||Golf club and golf balls||Surfing equipment||Archery equipment|
|Bowling equipment||Boogie board||Hockey sticks||Windsurfing/ski equipment|
|Snowboarding equipment||Lacrosse equipment||Javelin||Bodyboard|
|Scuba diving equipment||Kite-surfing equipment||Skydiving equipment||Bicycles|
|Stand up paddleboarding equipment||Paragliding equipment||Water ski equipment||Wakeboard|
Musical Instruments to be Carried According to Latam Baggage Policy
Latam Airlines has a different system for bringing musical instruments inside its flights. The customers are advised not to carry instruments larger than 32 kilograms and 62 linear inches. Here are a few musical instruments that can be transported with the customer, owing to the Latam Airlines baggage policy:
- Double bass
- Bass drum
Prohibited Items Inside Latam Airlines Flights
The staff of Latam is strict when it comes to checking prohibited items on board. Hence, the customers of this air carrier are requested not to carry these restricted items inside the flights:
- Box cutters
- Stun guns
- Gasoline products
- Fuel products
- Vehicle airbags
- Snow globes
Latam baggage policy rules have been easy to be obeyed by many of its flyers. The customers have been facing no safety issues while following the rules of this policy. By reading the weight concept, the flyers have also minimized their extra baggage costs.
To know about the baggage policies of other airlines, you can visit our page. Among all, we recommend reading the rules of the Aeroflot baggage policy.
Frequently Asked Questions on Latam Airlines Baggage Policy
Latam Airlines domestic baggage allowance for Business Class passengers approves 32 kilograms of weight. As the policy runs on the weight concept, the travelers of the international and domestic routes can take as many bags as they wish up to 32 kilograms.
Latam’s lost baggage policy is found to be great by many passengers of the airline. In case you have missed any of your belongings on your flight, you must contact the airline and inform it about the same. The staff of Latam will surely guide you about the further steps in getting back your lost item.
Latam Airlines have a different baggage allowance on the basis of every cabin class. As per the Latam Economy baggage allowance, the flyers can take up to 23 kilograms of weight and two bags per customer. The weight concept is the same for Premium Economy travelers as well. The Business Class of this airline approves 32 kilograms and three bags inside its flight. The First Class flyers can take four bags up to 32 kilograms each.
Yes, Latam Airlines allows pets to fly inside the cabin. The pets must be at least four months old to travel inside the flight. According to the Latam baggage policy for pets, the passengers carrying them must bring pet crates or carriers. They should also submit the medical records and vaccination proofs at the airport for security reasons.
On Latam, you can check your carry-on luggage for $35 on domestic trips and $70 on international routes when it surpasses the size/weight limitations. You can also store one personal item within your checked luggage to avoid paying Latam Airlines extra baggage fees.