Southwest baggage policy has been made to keep travelers informed. Southwest Airlines is considered one of the low-carrier airlines and is traveled by passengers worldwide. To ensure that both passengers and the airline face no inconvenient situations, the policy with baggage rules has been formed. These rules also explain the items that are or are not allowed onboard. The policy has also defined the weight of bags that is agreeable. The rules relating to the Southwest baggage weight limit need to be met by every passenger.
- Southwest Baggage Allowance Policy for Checked Luggage
- Guidelines for Excess Baggage of Southwest Airlines
- Oversized or Overweight Southwest Baggage Fees
- Southwest Security Rules of Carry-On Baggage Policy
- Carrying Infants with Southwest Airlines
- Southwest Airlines Baggage Policy for Pets
- Sporting and Music Equipment Accepted in Southwest Airlines
- Prohibited Items in Southwest Airlines Baggage Policy
- Southwest Baggage Policy and Locked Luggage
- Southwest Lost and Found Policy
- How to Prevent Baggage Fees on Southwest Airlines
Southwest Baggage Allowance Policy for Checked Luggage
Southwest Airlines is among those airlines that allow all customers to check their baggage for free. Southwest baggage allowance permits its customers to check up to two bags cost-free. However, the bags should not weigh more than 50 pounds. The total dimensions of the bags, which are the length, breadth, and height of the bags, cannot be more than 62 inches.
However, according to Southwest baggage allowance policy, if you are carrying three or more bags as checked luggage, then additional charges may be required.
Guidelines for Excess Baggage of Southwest Airlines
Certain passengers may want to carry excess baggage while traveling with Southwest Airlines. The carrier has made some strict Southwest Airlines baggage rules for luggage that surpass the size, weight, and quantity restrictions.
- The weight of extra luggage is restricted up to 50 lbs or 23 kg apiece.
- A bag weighing more than 100 lbs is not allowed by the airline.
- You will not be able to take extra luggage for free on your flight. As per the Southwest Airlines baggage fees, extra charges will be applied in this case.
Oversized or Overweight Southwest Baggage Fees
Southwest extra baggage fees, based on different conditions, have been displayed below:
|Carrying extra luggage on the flight||$75|
|Luggage comprising 10 or more bags||$110|
|Weight of luggage beyond 50 lbs||$75|
|Luggage size over 62 inches||$75|
Southwest Security Rules of Carry-On Baggage Policy
As per the Southwest baggage policy, certain security rules for carry-on luggage are applicable. In these rules, what not to bring and what is allowed have been explained. The list of the items are as follows:
- Baby food
- Baby cereals
- Pillow cases
- Certain medicines
- Perishable items
- Baby carrier
- Baby car seat
- Assistive devices
- Through the control point, you are permitted to bring in your luggage and a fourth bag containing:
- Liquid items being carried will require further screening during checking as expressed in the Southwest bag policy.
- An object that cannot be inspected is not allowed to be carried.
- The items being packed in the luggage should be above 3.4 oz or 100 ml.
Carrying Infants with Southwest Airlines
While a passenger carries an infant with him/her, these are the Southwest baggage policy rules that should be kept in mind:
- You can carry an infant who is at least 14 days old.
- For babies between 14 days to 2 years, any charges may not be applicable, as per Southwest baggage allowance policy.
- A boarding permit may not be required in the case of infants.
- While traveling from a domestic flight, a Boarding Verification Document for your baby will be needed.
Southwest Airlines Baggage Policy for Pets
The Southwest baggage allowance policy for pets is particularly important for certain passengers. The passengers may want to carry along their pets. In all cases, the size of the pets may not be small or may cause space problems onboard. Hence, the rules for carrying them have been made.
- Tiny and trained cats and dogs are allowed inside the cabin of Southwest.
- Pets need to be transported in a container.
- The container for transporting the pets should have the following dimensions, as per the Southwest Airlines carry-on size:
- Not more than 8.5 inches high
- Not exceeding 18.5 inches in length
- Only up to 13.5 inches in width
- Only one pet carrier is permitted
- Charges for pet containers will cost $95 for one-way.
Cargo Facilities for Pets
Southwest Airlines’ baggage policy provides cargo facilities and air cargo services. Passengers who want reliable and fast pet services can hold their pets in cargo.
Sporting and Music Equipment Accepted in Southwest Airlines
Athletes or sportsmen heading to tournaments, matches, etc., in far locations may want to take equipment when they fly with Southwest. The same can be true in the case of singers or musicians. Southwest baggage policy enables the passengers to carry only certain equipment including:
- Golf bags
- Non-motorized bicycles
- Baseball equipment
- Archery equipment
- Fishing tackle box
- Bowling bag
- Hockey sticks
- Tennis rackets
- Water and snow ski equipment
Note: These sports items must be carried out keeping in mind Southwest Airlines carry-on size.
Prohibited Items in Southwest Airlines Baggage Policy
Southwest Airlines has a certain set of guidelines set for prohibited items on flights. These guidelines are made for the safety of the passengers. Items such as aerosols and electric lighters may cause a fire in the aircraft. Things such as knives, scissors, and other sharp objects may cause harm to the passengers or other essential items inside the bags.
The items prohibited by Southwest Airlines baggage allowance policy are inclusive of:
- Lithium batteries
- Certain electronic gadgets
- Electric lighters
- Knives and sharp objects
- Electronic cigarettes and vape devices
- Plastic explosives
Southwest Baggage Policy and Locked Luggage
For keeping the items safely inside the bags, Southwest Airlines has provided the customers with the locking service. Locking the luggage can help the passengers to store valuable items inside their bags without the fear of getting them misplaced. These locked bags are screened under the TSA guidelines. The TSA or Transportation Security Administration is responsible for screening all the Southwest luggage inside the flight before being locked.
If the bags are unlocked, the screening is done quickly and the customers do not have to wait at the screening queue. These unlocked bags are then sent for locking after gaining permission from the passenger. Southwest baggage fees would be applied if you want to go for the locking luggage facility. However, when the bags are found to be locked, they are then opened for security check and then sealed again.
Note: With respect to the Southwest Airlines checked baggage policy, the airline is not responsible for the damage caused to the locked items.
Southwest Lost and Found Policy
When the passengers fly to long and short-haul destinations, they sometimes forget their luggage inside the flights. Southwest Airlines has made guidelines for lost and found service in its baggage policy. The customers can find the items that are lost on their flights with these guidelines.
- This lost and found service is applicable for customers with some additional charges.
- To raise a complaint regarding your lost item, you must inform the airline by contacting it.
- By contacting Southwest Airlines, the customer service or the cabin crew will guide you about what measures should be taken to proceed.
- You should provide correct and detailed information on:
- Where you were seated
- The attributes of your luggage
- By sending your email to the airline, you will get daily information on the status of your luggage. If not, then you can be contacted by Southwest Airlines via your mobile number when your item has been found.
How to Prevent Baggage Fees on Southwest Airlines
It can be critical to study the baggage size and weight restrictions before leaving or flying with Southwest Airlines. Southwest checked bags are limited to 50 pounds and 62 inches in length, breadth, and height. The bag will be recognized as oversized if it is more than 50 pounds, and you will be charged $75 for the same. You will have to transport it as air freight when it reaches more than 100 pounds. As a result, it is vital to consider the size and weight of your luggage before arriving at the airport.
Credit Cards that Compensate You for Checked Baggage Fees
Southwest baggage rules are strict, allowing two bags per passenger. These rules may not allow flyers to take more than two bags on the flight. However, in some cases, the passengers need some extra bags.
These extra bags can cause you high Southwest baggage fees if you purchase them from the airport. Hence, when you are going on a long vacation and require more checked baggage, then VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card will help you save money on fees.
VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card from Capital One – This card has no annual fee and offers 20,000 extra miles after purchasing $500 in the first three months. As seen in the Southwest bag policy, you can redeem your miles to cover off your statement amount when you utilize your card for regular purchases.
In addition to the baggage policy of this airline, knowing its reviews can be helpful prior to make a flight reservation. Click here to go through these Southwest Airlines reviews.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can take one personal item with a single standard facility, as per Southwest carry-on policy. For additional items or luggage, you will have to pay an extra fee.
Checked luggage on Southwest Airlines is free. The Southwest bags must conform to a maximum weight of 50 pounds and 62 inches in linear dimensions.
Yes, 3 or a double luggage limit on Southwest Airlines can be checked. An extra luggage charge of 75$ for the third bag will be applicable, as per the Southwest baggage fees policy rules. Also, getting 3 bags checked is possible if each one of them satisfies the maximum parameters of weight and bag.
Southwest baggage policy enables each traveler to check one carry-on bag and one personal item cost-free. The standard size and weight limits apply to carry-on baggage. With grips and wheels, a passenger can take 50 linear inches or 127 centimeters bags on a complimentary basis at Southwest.
Yes, you can take alcohol on Southwest Airlines. However, as per the baggage policy of Southwest Airlines for liquids, the alcohol must be stored in unopened and zip-loc containers. The highest limit of liquor that can be brought in or be taken on the airline as a checked bag is five liters per passenger.
As per the policy, Southwest Airlines checks the first two pieces of baggage as cost-free for all the cabin classes. The Economy and Premium Economy passengers can take up to 23 kilograms of weight and 62 inches of their bags inside the flight. Southwest Airlines baggage weight limit for all the travelers of Business Class and First-Class is 32 kilograms and 62 linear inches.
Southwest carry-on items can include personal items that the passenger carries inside the cabin. The items that are approved by this airline are handbags, baby diaper bags, baby food, baby car seats, binoculars, books, wet wipes, mattresses, medicines, strollers, etc. One thing that the passenger should keep in mind is that they must not surpass the Southwest Airlines carry-on size restriction of 23 kilograms.
For the first two bags, Southwest Airlines charges no fees. When the passengers are carrying the third bag, under the Southwest baggage rules, the fees will be $75. If the flyers are requesting to check more than three bags, then the airline will ask them to pay $100.
Southwest weight limit for baggage for domestic routes is 23-32 kilograms. The flyers of this airline may take up to four bags but the weight restrictions must not exceed. The maximum linear dimensions of the baggage must be 62 inches. On exceeding the size restrictions, a passenger has to pay the oversized baggage fee at the check-in desk of the airport.
Southwest policy for baggage has some rules for transporting liquids inside its cabin. According to the Southwest liquid policy, the rules to be obeyed by a customer are:
* Liquid items other than medicines must be packed in different sealable containers.
* The items must not exceed the volume restrictions of 100 milliliters.
* Liquids that are not inspected are not allowed to be carried inside the flight.
Pertaining to the Southwest checked bag size, all the items at all cabin classes must be under 62 linear inches. Additionally, the weight of the Economy and Premium Economy baggage items must be 23 kilograms. Likewise, the bags of Business Class and First-Class must not surpass the weight of 32 kilograms.
Business Class flyers can take up to 2 checked bags cost-free according to the Southwest checked bag policy. The third bag will imply additional fees on carrying it inside the aircraft of Southwest Airlines. To avoid paying extra baggage fees, it is recommended to divide baggage with another companion if you have one.
Southwest Airlines offers free checked bags to every customer traveling with it. With every customer, two Southwest free bags are allowed. When the customer is requesting a third checked bag, he/she will have to bear the amount of $75.