Whether it be domestic or international travel, flying within the baggage limits is extremely important. Keeping this in view, IndiGo Airlines has framed a comprehensive baggage policy. The IndiGo baggage allowance policy enables safe travel. It regulates various conditions of luggage allowance as well. It also discloses the different methods of carrying luggage, weight, and size limits. Therefore, it is essential to refer to this policy before making your reservation. This can help you to avoid a breach of rules.
- What is the IndiGo Airlines Baggage Policy?
- IndiGo Baggage Allowance for Weight
- IndiGo Airlines Baggage Fee
- IndiGo Check-In Baggage Policy
- IndiGo Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance Rules
- Inside Indigo Airlines Checked Baggage
- IndiGo Airlines Carry-On Baggage Allowance Policy
- Items Allowed as IndiGo Carry-On Baggage
- IndiGo Airlines Excess Baggage Allowance
- IndiGo Infant Baggage Policy
- IndiGo Airlines Pet Allowance Policy
- IndiGo Airlines Baggage Claim and Compensation
- IndiGo Airlines Baggage Tracking
- FAQs- IndiGo Airlines Baggage Policy
Indigo Airlines International Baggage Allowance Policy
The luggage rules for international flights differ from domestic flights on this airline. This is mainly because of the involvement of connecting flights while flying to international destinations. Hence, the IndiGo international connection baggage limit is more liberal compared to this domestic luggage limit.
IndiGo Domestic Baggage Allowance Policy
Passengers can be subject to more limitations on domestic flights. As per the IndiGo domestic flight baggage allowance for checked luggage, fewer check-in bags are allowed on these flights. Further, excess baggage is only permitted to a limited degree on domestic flights. Hence, all the benefits of international travel may not be available to domestic passengers.
The complete weight and size limits of international and domestic baggage are explained further.
What is the IndiGo Airlines Baggage Policy?
In simple words, the IndiGo flight baggage allowance policy is that which determines all the luggage rules and regulations. It indicates the maximum weight allowed on each type of baggage. The various amounts of IndiGo baggage charges are also highlighted by this policy. Additionally, the differences in international and domestic luggage allowance are mentioned under this policy.
In this context, the various IndiGo Airlines baggage allowance rules are as follows. Every passenger must be responsible for these rules and carry their baggage accordingly.
- Three main types of baggage can be carried on this airline. These include:
- Checked Baggage
- Carry-on Luggage
- Excess Baggage
- The baggage rules can vary from one flight to another, based on your destination. For this reason, you will have to go through the rules mentioned on your specific ticket.
- IndiGo check-in baggage policy states that travelers are required to check-in their baggage at least an hour before boarding.
- All types of baggage will be subject to security checks throughout the boarding process. Travelers must duly comply with these checks.
- You will have to pay additional charges for baggage exceeding the weight limits. Similarly, traveling with pets may also require additional payment.
Note: Passengers will be given the option to contact the airline if they want to seek information regarding baggage restrictions.
IndiGo Baggage Allowance for Weight
Being a lost-cost carrier, this airline does not offer a Business Class or First Class. Hence, the IndiGo flight baggage weight limit depends on the nature of your flight, that is, national or international. Moreover, different international destinations have varying weight allowances. These limitations mainly apply to checked baggage. For carry-on luggage, both domestic and international travel have similar policies.
Given below are the IndiGo international and IndiGo domestic baggage limits:
|Your Destination||Baggage Weight Limit|
|Destinations wIthin India||15 kg or 33 lbs|
|Male, Phuket, Bangkok||20 kg or 44 lbs|
|Jeddah,||25 kg (55 lbs) + 5 kg (11 lbs) Zamzam water|
|Dubai World Central||40 kg 88 lbs|
|Abu Dhabi, Dhaka, Singapore, Lumpur||30 kg or 66 lbs|
For passengers with Double or Multi-seat reservations, IndiGo extra baggage of 10kg can be allowed for free.
IndiGo Airlines Baggage Fee
This airline has a free allowance policy for one checked bag under domestic travel. IndiGo baggage fees may apply on international travel. This fee will be charged at the airport. These charges can sometimes vary based on the latest updates given by the airline.
The following table shows the luggage fees of IndiGo Airlines:
|Arrival Destination||Baggage Fees|
|Domestic Destinations||1 piece – free|
|Bangkok, Phuket, Male||2 pieces – INR 2000 per piece or 25 USD|
|Kathmandu||1 piece – INR 2000 or 25 USD|
|Abu Dhabi, Dhaka, Hong Kong, Colombo||2 pieces – INR 2000 per piece or 25 USD|
Apart from this, if you want to carry extra bags or excess weight, then you will have to pay the applicable Indigo excess baggage fees.
Quick-Note: The rules for IndiGo Airlines baggage allowance from Dubai may keep changing from time to time. For these updates, you can visit the official site of the carrier or contact it directly.
IndiGo Check-In Baggage Policy
Checked baggage, also called check-in baggage, refers to the luggage that is not available for use during a flight. You will have to leave it with the airline authorities for its transport. It will be transferred to the arrival destination in the storage compartment of the aircraft. Since this luggage will be in the supervision of the airline, you will have to adhere to all the IndiGo Airlines check-in baggage rules. This will prevent the overloading of the airplane.
IndiGo Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance Rules
For carrying checked baggage, you need to abide by allowance rules set by IndiGo. These rules give the maximum allowed IndiGo checked baggage dimensions as per weight and size. Travelers will have to bear additional charges if they go over the given limits for these aspects. Hence, it is essential to restrict your check-in luggage to the given dimensions only.
The following are the check-in baggage weight and size regulations, in accordance with the IndiGo Airlines baggage allowance policy:
- IndiGo Check-in Baggage Weight Limit:
- On domestic flights, one piece per person is allowed.
- The maximum baggage weight per person is 15 kg or 33 lbs.
- You can be allowed to carry 25 kg or 55 lbs in case you have a double reservation.
- On international flights, you can take 2 pieces weighing 30/40 kgs based on your itinerary.
- IndiGo Check-in Baggage Size:
- The size per piece of your check-in baggage cannot exceed 158 cm or 62 inches.
- This size limit takes into account the length, width, and height of your bags.
- When your bags do not comply with the size restrictions, you will have to pay extra fees.
- IndiGo Checked Baggage Fees:
- On domestic flights, should your luggage be well within the IndiGo check-in baggage limit, then you will not be required to pay additional charges.
- On international flights, you may have to pay INR 2000 or USD 25 for checking in your bags.
Inside Indigo Airlines Checked Baggage
The Indigo check-in baggage allowance permits travelers to carry various items. You can bring all your essential items in checked luggage ranging from clothes to food. Other than these, special items like sports equipment, musical instruments, and electronics can also be carried. However, they are subject to not only firm restrictions but also additional charges.
Sports Equipment Under IndiGo Checked Baggage
All of the sporting equipment that you wish to carry must adhere to the IndiGo flight baggage weight limits. These items should also be packed cautiously without any room for damage. As you meet all these conditions, you will be allowed to bring any of the following sporting equipment as checked luggage:
- Golf bags
- Skiing equipment
- Surf boards
- Boogie boards
- Bowling equipment
- Archery equipment
When you wish to check-in any of the above-mentioned items, you will be obliged to pay the IndiGo baggage fees. This fee is as follows:
- INR 3000/USD 38 on international flights
- INR 1500 or USD 19 on domestic flights
Note: This amount will be charged in addition to the IndiGo Airlines extra baggage fees should you go over the given weight limits.
Musical Instruments in IndiGo Checked Luggage
This airline allows its fliers to transport musical instruments as checked baggage. The same IndiGo Airlines check-in baggage allowance weight limitations apply to musical instruments like those of sporting equipment. Shown below are the various instruments that you can carry on this airline:
Note that no extra charges apply to musical instruments. Therefore, you can carry these articles for free.
Quick-Note: LED and LCD televisions exceeding the IndiGo baggage size limit of about 99 cm can be carried as checked luggage at a cost of INR 3000 on international flights.
IndiGo Airlines Carry-On Baggage Allowance Policy
Also known as cabin baggage, carry-on luggage refers to the items that you can bring on board. This baggage will be accessible to you during the course of your flight. As per the IndiGo baggage allowance, passengers will be allowed to bring one full-size carry-on and one small personal bag.
IndiGo Airlines Carry-On Baggage Rules
Since carry-on bags are stored below the seats or overhead bins, they will have to be under a certain size and weight limit. These bags should fit in the given space allotted in the aircraft. In this regard, the following IndiGo Airlines carry-on baggage rules have to be followed:
- IndiGo Airlines Carry-on Baggage Weight Limit:
- One carry-on bag, not exceeding 7 kgs or 15 lbs, is allowed on both domestic and international flights.
- A personal handbag or a lady bag up to 3 kgs or 6 lbs can be taken.
- IndiGo Airlines Carry-on Baggage Size Rules:
- The IndiGo carry-on baggage size limit of any full-size bag is 55 cm * 35cm * 25 cm.
- This size limit includes the combined dimensions of length* height* width.
- IndiGo Airlines Carry-on Baggage Fees:
- When your carry-on bags are within the specified weight and size restrictions, you can take them for free. They will be devoid of extra IndiGo baggage fees.
- In case you want to have more than one piece of cabin baggage, you will have to pay USD 12 or INR 1000 per piece.
Items Allowed as IndiGo Carry-On Baggage
The hand baggage allowed in IndiGo includes several small-sized harmless items. These can be quick-use items, electronics, or baby-related goods. This list mentions all the articles allowed as cabin luggage on IndiGo:
- Ladies’ handbag
- Laptop bags
- Milk bottles for babies
- Duty-free bags
- Safety kits
- Reading material
Note: Passengers will be solely liable for any jewelry or cash carried on the airplane. The airline does not hold any responsibility in case of loss or theft of your jewelry or any other expensive item. Standard security checks apply to all these expensive articles.
Assistive Devices in Carry-On Baggage
You can carry all kinds of assistive devices as carry-on luggage provided that you are dependent on them. In most cases, you will not be required to pay IndiGo extra baggage charges for carrying these devices. Similarly, assistive equipment for infants and kids can also be brought on board.
Here are some of the assistive devices allowed on board IndiGo:
- Collapsible Wheelchair
- Pair of Crutches
- Prosthetic devices
- Hearing aids
- Memory aids
- Communication aids
Quick Note: Guitars and other musical equipment packed in soft cases can be brought as carry-on luggage. No additional fees apply to these instruments.
Liquids as IndiGo Carry-On Luggage
The IndiGo international baggage allowance for carry-ons allows passengers to bring liquids. Liquids brought as carry-on baggage are subject to weight restrictions. They must also be neatly packed in order to avoid leakage. Further, these liquids should pass through security checks and must be deemed harmless by the airport authorities.
The rules given here are to be followed when you wish to carry liquids or gels in your hand luggage:
- All the liquids and gels should be carried in a container.
- The volume of this liquid container should not be more than 100 ml.
- This container should then be sealed in a plastic bag of about 1 liter.
- It is best that the plastic bag be re-sealable (ziplock bags).
The same IndiGo Airlines carry-on baggage rules for liquids apply to gels and creams.
Items Prohibited Under IndiGo Carry-On Luggage
Airlines like IndiGo prohibit passengers from bringing certain items on board. These restrictions are drawn out to ensure the safety of the fliers. Given below are the items prohibited under carry-on luggage as per the IndiGo baggage allowance rules:
- Sharp objects
- Dry cell batteries
- Toy ammunition
- Flammable liquids
- Compressed gasses
Note: There is a chance of your ticket getting canceled when you take any of these above-mentioned items. Therefore, it is a must to follow the IndiGo domestic and international baggage allowance rules.
IndiGo Airlines Excess Baggage Allowance
Extra luggage refers to the baggage that exceeds the standard size and weight limitations. Additionally, more than 2 pieces of bags in checked luggage will also be considered extra luggage. The following are the three categories of this:
- IndiGo extra baggage
- Overweight luggage
- Oversized bags
Various rules and regulations apply to each of these types and are described below:
IndiGo Extra Baggage Rules and Fee
Considering that you wish to carry excess baggage, this airline gives the option to pre-book your desired amount of the same. For this, you will have to pay additional charges. The IndiGo prepaid extra baggage charges depend on the amount of excess weight you have to carry. It can range from 3 kgs to 30 kgs.
The prepaid IndiGo domestic extra baggage charges, classified according to the weight, are shown here:
|Extra Baggage Weight||Fee Charged|
|3 kgs or 6 lbs||1350 INR or 18 USD|
|5 kgs or 11 lbs||2250 INR or 29 USD|
|10 kgs or 22 lbs||4500 INR or 59 USD|
|15 kgs or 33 lbs||6750 INR or 88 USD|
|20 kgs or 44 lbs||9000 INR or 117 USD|
|30 kgs or 66 lbs||13500 INR or 176 USD|
Note: Should you have failed to pay for your excess baggage in advance, then a fee of about 550 INR/7 USD would be charged per kg at the airport.
Now, the prepaid IndiGo extra baggage fees for international flights are as follows. These are the standard charges.
|Extra Baggage Weight||Fee Charged|
|3 kgs or 6 lbs||1656 INR or 21 USD|
|5 kgs or 11 lbs||2760 INR or 35 USD|
|10 kgs or 22 lbs||5520 INR or 70 USD|
|15 kgs or 33 lbs||8280 INR or 106 USD|
|20 kgs or 44 lbs||11040 INR or 141 USD|
|30 kgs or 66 lbs||16560 INR or 212 USD|
In case you want to buy your excess baggage at the airport and not in advance, you will have to pay a fee of 7 USD or 600 INR per kg.
Important Note: The international IndiGo baggage fees for excess luggage varies based on the different arrival destinations and your flight itinerary. Therefore, to know the exact amount of this fee, you should visit the online site of the air operator.
IndiGo Overweight Baggage Rules and Fee
Sometimes, you may accidentally go over the weight limit for checked and carry-on luggage. In such a case, the following IndiGo baggage allowance rules apply:
- Any items over the weight of 32 kgs on international flights will be considered overweight.
- To carry such items, you will have to pay a fee of 2500 INR or 40 USD.
IndiGo Oversize Baggage Rules and Fee
Any luggage exceeding the maximum allotted size is called oversized. The rules pertaining to such luggage are:
- Items going over the IndiGo baggage size limit of 62 linear inches will be charged additional fees.
- This fee can range from 2000 to 2500 INR or 32 to 40 USD.
Note: The overweight and oversized baggage fees will be charged in addition to the excess baggage costs of IndiGo.
IndiGo Infant Baggage Policy
This airline has a specified policy for infants. All the kids less than 2 years and more than 3 days of age will be eligible for infant travel. For the safe travel of infants and kids, parents will have to adhere to certain Indigo baggage allowance rules.
- The reservation of a separate seat for an infant is not permitted. While on board, adults should carry infants on their laps at all times.
- An infant is not considered a separate passenger. Therefore, no check-in or carry-on luggage can be brought in his/her name.
- Since there is a limit of 6-12 children on an airbus, you may have to pay a fee of 2350 INR or 36 USD for infants, as per the IndiGo international baggage allowance policy. On domestic flights, this fee can be 1500 INR/24 USD.
IndiGo Airlines Pet Allowance Policy
On both domestic and international flights, IndiGo does not allow passengers to travel with pets. Birds, dogs, cats, or any kinds of pets are not permitted on board. But guide dogs are an exception to the Indigo flight baggage allowance policy. Passengers suffering from blindness or any other physical challenges can bring guide dogs. Prior information should be given to the airline authorities when you wish to bring a guide dog. Also, it will only be allowed when it is trained and has a clean medical history. To know whether any IndiGo baggage charges apply for guiding dogs, get in touch with the airline directly.
IndiGo Airlines Baggage Claim and Compensation
There is a possibility of your luggage being damaged in the course of the transit. Sometimes, the delivery of your baggage can be delayed as well. In other circumstances, your bags can be completely lost. In all such situations, the IndiGo check-in baggage allowance policy allows you to report your issues.
- Upon finding that your baggage is lost, damaged, or delayed at the arrival airport, go to the nearest help desk.
- Reach out to the authorities here and give details about your bags.
- The authorities will soon begin the search for your luggage.
Suppose your luggage is not found after a thorough search, the airline will compensate you. This compensation will be provided in accordance with the Delayed and Lost Baggage Protection Service scheme of the airline.
- The IndiGo Airlines international baggage allowance policy provides compensation of INR 66,000 per bag.
- A compensation amount is facilitated by the IndiGo domestic flight baggage allowance policy equivalent to INR 19,000 per bag.
Note: The airline will only be liable for issues with checked bags and not with hand luggage.
IndiGo Airlines Baggage Tracking
To know the status of your delayed bag, you can use the baggage tracking feature provided by this airline. Baggage tracking disclosed the location of your bag and the estimated time for delivery. IndiGo baggage allowance policy has made this feature available for both domestic and international flights.
To trace your luggage, go through the procedure added here:
- Open your browser and go to the web address “www.goindigo.in” to reach the official site of the carrier.
- On the home page of this site, scroll down to the “Travel Help” section.
- Here, find the “Baggage Information” tab and click on it.
- On the left side of your page, you will find a list of options for IndiGo international baggage allowance. From these, select the “Track Your bag” option.
- You will now be redirected to a new page where you will have to enter your details like “File Reference” and “Name”.
- You will now be able to access the bag-tracking feature.
You will be informed by the airline as soon as your luggage is ready for delivery.
This carrier makes it easy for its passengers to take their luggage without much hassle. The IndiGo baggage allowance policy also permits its customers to bring excess luggage. Moreover, the minimal baggage fees charged make this airline affordable to all. Therefore, you do not need to be immensely concerned about your baggage while traveling with IndiGo.
FAQs- IndiGo Airlines Baggage Policy
The IndiGo extra baggage fees depend on the amount of excess weight you wish to carry. It also varies based on your destination, whether international or domestic. This fee usually starts at INR 1350 for 3 kg and goes up to INR 13500 for 30 kg on domestic flights. For international flights, it ranges from INR 1656 for 3 kgs to INR 16560 for 30 kgs.
There are mainly three different types of baggage allowed under the IndiGo baggage allowance policy. These include: checked baggage or hold baggage, carry-on items or cabin bags, and extra/excess luggage. Different size and weight limits apply to each of these types of luggage.
As per the IndiGo domestic flight baggage allowance policy, one checked bag and one full-sized carry-on bag are allowed on domestic flights. The checked bag cannot be more than 15 kgs in weight and 158 cm in size. The carry-on bag can be 7 kgs in weight and 55 cm * 35 cm * 25 cm in dimensions. You will also be permitted to carry a handbag of 3 kgs under the carry-on luggage category.
The IndiGo excess baggage charges for international flights vary according to the weight. These charges include INR 1656 for 3 kgs, INR 2760 for 5 kgs, INR 5520 for 10 kgs, INR 8280 for 15 kgs, INR 11040 for 20 kgs, and INR 16550 for 30 kgs. These charges may get updated based on seasonal offers. You can check the official site of the airline for these fees.
No, a packed water bottle is not allowed to be carried on IndiGo flights. You can bring an empty water bottle through the security checkpoint. Once you clear the checkpoint, you can refill from the airport premises. As a part of the IndiGo Airlines baggage policy, water cups can be provided for free on flights. Also, if you want to purchase a water bottle, you can do so on the flight by paying some charges.
You should immediately alert an IndiGo employee at the airport’s entrance when your checked bag is delayed, lost, or damaged. It will be assumed that you got your suitcase in excellent condition if you exit the luggage area without making a report. According to the IndiGo Airlines international flight baggage allowance, you should inform the airline within 21 days of acquiring your suitcase. Then you can also make a damage claim.
IndiGo Airlines’ check-in baggage policy’s restrictions for size for all the passengers is 158 centimeters or 62 linear inches. The sum of the weight, length, and height of the bag must not exceed these size dimensions.
Passengers must bring liquids in sealed and tight plastic containers on IndiGo flights. Liquids can also be transported aboard this Indian airline’s aircraft using a zip-lock bag. With IndiGo Airlines’ domestic baggage policy rules, only 3.4 ounces of liquids can be brought on board.
If you bought your ticket officially from IndiGo Airlines, then you may pay your baggage charge online. You can pay online by a contact center, over the phone, or via your travel agency. The IndiGo Airlines baggage allowance fee can also be paid when you purchase your flight. Paying in advance can be less expensive than paying at the airport.
You can pre-book your extra baggage with the airline. This feature will be available for checked luggage. For this, you may contact the customer service of the airline and submit your request. Otherwise, you can access this feature during the reservation of your flight ticket online by referring to the baggage section.
Passengers can pre-book their excess luggage on domestic flights through the online site of IndiGo Airlines. This can be done during the ticket reservation process or during the web check-in procedure. Additionally, you can contact the customer care agents to pre-book extra baggage.
You can register your luggage through the web-check option. Otherwise, you can also check in your bags at the airport before boarding. Your luggage will have to go through security clearance before being eligible for check-in.
Passengers of this airline will be under the obligation to pay additional charges for extra baggage allowance. You cannot carry excess baggage without the payment of IndiGo baggage fees. Hence, getting extra luggage for free is not possible, you will have to pay the required amount of additional charges.