British Airways baggage policy must be understood and accepted by all the flyers traveling with this airline. Situated in England, it is the second-largest airline in the country of the United Kingdom. The policy of the airline carries information relating to bags, pets, infants, liquid items, etc.
British Airways Baggage Allowance for Checked Luggage
Abiding by the British Airways check-in baggage policy, mentioned below are the guidelines:
- The quantity of checked luggage permitted per person is determined by your reservation.
- Your checked luggage will be carried in British Airways’ cargo hold.
- Bags should not be more than 23 kilograms in weight.
- The maximum weight dimensions to be carried inside the cabin must be 90 x 75 x 43 centimeters.
- If the baggage exceeds these weight dimensions, it will be considered extra luggage.
The table shown below will give you a clear idea of how much baggage weight travelers can take while flying upon different cabins:
|Cabin Class Type||Check-in Weight Limits in Kilograms|
|Economy Class||23 kg|
|Premium Economy Class||23 kg|
|Business Class||32 kg|
|First Class||32 kg|
Guidelines for Excess Baggage of British Airways Baggage Policy
Excess luggage costs under British Airways baggage allowance are as follows:
|Places||Excess Baggage Fees|
|London City Airport||$100|
|London Gatwick Airport||$75|
|London Heathrow Airport||$110|
|London Stansted, Birmingham, Bristol, Dublin, and Manchester||$100|
|USA, Mexico, and Canada from London Gatwick||$60|
|Other Long-Haul Flights||$110|
On carrying the total number of luggage, British Airways baggage fees for the USA are applicable. The fees may be different online and at the airport. The rates are as described below:
|Baggage||Online Charges||Airport Charges|
|First Bag||£20 – £40||£40 – £65|
|Second Bag||£36 – £60||£40 – 65|
|Third or 3+ Bags||£65||£40 – £65|
Overweight or Oversized British Airways Baggage Fees
When any flyer brings luggage of more than the required weight in British Airways, then it is considered as an overweight item. Look at the table below to know the fees applied for carrying overweight items:
|Routes||Overweight Baggage Fees|
|South Africa||340 ZAR|
|Victoria Falls, Zambia, Mauritius, Zimbabwe, and Windhoek||520 ZAR/42 USD/1,375 MUR/520 NAD|
|Other destination flights||700 ZAR/60 USD/1,850 MUR|
British Airways Security Rules for Carry-on Baggage Policy
Described below are some items stated in British Airways carry-on baggage policy that can be carried inside the flights via security grounds:
- Electronic gadgets
- Makeup kits
- Baby strollers
- Baby cereals
- Baby car seat
- Alcoholic beverages
- Medical kits
- Wet Wipes
Certain liquid items have some restrictions according to the British Airways International baggage policy. These rules are stated below:
- Liquids and gels must be contained in a transparent 20 cm x 20 cm container and be below 100 milliliters.
- Duty-free liquids, certain syrup medications, and infant milk will have different regulations.
- Each liquid should be contained with its own 100 milliliters containers.
- To comply with British Airways security standards, these liquids must be securely packaged.
Carrying Infants with British Airways
British Airways baggage policy for carrying infants, has a specific set of rules which have to be obeyed by the flyers on the flight:
- British Airways requires that infants be at least 48 hours old before flying.
- For your infant’s voyage, you ought to have a ticket unless you are carrying them on your lap.
- British Airways extra baggage fee would be applied if you purchase a baby chair or a stroller.
- Infants do not need their own seat, but you must notify British Airways if you would be flying with an infant on your lap.
- According to the baggage allowance for British Airways Business Class, just one lap kid is permitted per traveler. Whenever one adult is traveling with more than one newborn under the age of two, a seat for every individual infant must be bought.
- Passengers must be at least 15 years old to carry infants in their laps.
British Airways Baggage Policy for Pets
The baggage policy of British Airways for carrying pets allows its passengers to bring certain canines inside its aircraft. However, bringing pets onboard requires some rules which are included below:
- Pets are not permitted to fly in the cabin of British Airways aircraft.
- Animals are not allowed to fly as checked luggage on British Airways. They can, however, fly inside the cargo hold.
- IAG Cargo, British Airways’ sister organization, is in charge of any pets carried in the hold.
- Pet carriers must be robust enough to safeguard your pet while being carried by IAG Cargo.
- Cats leaving the United States and Canada must fly in a carrier that is under the dimensions of 68 cm x 50 cm x 48 cm.
Sporting and Music Equipment Approved by British Airways
British Airways baggage allowance policy accepts limited sports and music items inside its flights. The following are items that you can bring inside the British Airways flights:
- Diving equipment
- Golf clubs
- Golf balls’
- Hockey equipment
- Ski and snowboarding equipment
Prohibited Items on British Airways
Look below to find what items are not allowed as per the British Airways baggage policy:
- Ammunition items
- Explosive substances
- Chemical Items
- Blunt instruments
- Stun batons
Visitors who traveled with British Airways have described how this airline made their overall journey convenient. Checking out these British Airways reviews can also make your travel plans better. Click on this post to view them now.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1 How much is the British Airways baggage allowance fees for travelers?
British Airways baggage allowance fees for a checked bag are from $60-$100. However, upon bringing more than the required weight limit, you may be entitled to pay extra fees.
Q.2 What is not allowed in the hand baggage at British Airways?
Items such as explosive substances, firearms, batteries, toxic goods, and flammable objects are not allowed in British Airways. When any passenger is caught carrying these items onboard, then according to the British Airways baggage policy, he/she does not have access to board the aircraft.