Formed several years ago, the Qantas baggage policy has been built for passengers’ safety inside the aircraft. This policy is flexible for Economy Class customers traveling in Australia and the international tourists flying with Business Class and First Class. Knowing the baggage policy of Qantas Airways will help in managing your additional expenses, based on the cabin class, while flying.
Qantas Airways Baggage Allowance for Checked Items
Carrying checked baggage inside Qantas Airways’ flights implies various rules. These rules are available for both domestic and international destinations. For checked items, these rules state that:
- The approved weight limit of checked items should be 32 kilograms following the Qantas domestic checked baggage allowance policy.
- The linear dimensions of the baggage must not exceed 158 centimeters.
- The number of bags to be carried inside the flight will depend on the cabin type.
Based on the cabin class, the number of bags approved by Qantas Airways is shown below. These bags are described along with their weight limits.
|Domestic/International Travel||Cabin Class||Number of Bags||Weight Restrictions|
|Domestic||Economy Class||1||23 kgs|
|Domestic||Business Class||2||32 kgs|
|International||Economy Class||2||23 kgs|
|International||Premium Economy Class||2||23 kgs|
|International||Business Class||3||32 kgs|
|International||First Class||3||32 kgs|
Guidelines for Bringing Excess Items on Qantas Airways
Carrying excess items on Qantas Airways implies some fees. Qantas extra baggage fees are applied on the basis of different routes traveled. These fees are as mentioned in the table below:
|Destinations||Extra Baggage Fees|
|North and South America||$137|
|Routes of Australia and New Zealand||$14|
|Routes of Australia and New Caledonia||$3.50|
|Routes of Australia and Asia||$24|
|Routes of Australia, South Africa, and Europe||$55|
|Routes of Asia and London||$41|
Overweight Qantas Baggage Fees
If any customer exceeds the Qantas baggage weight allowance, then he/she has to bear the overweight items fees. The fees to be paid by the customers are different as per their destination and routes. The overweight fees for various routes are:
|Routes||Overweight Baggage Fees per Kilogram|
|Routes of Australia and New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and New Caledonia||$20|
|Australia and Asia||$35|
|Dubai and London||$40|
|Australia and Dubai||$55|
|Australia, South Africa, and Europe||$80|
Qantas Airways Security Rules for Carry-on Baggage Policy
There are different rules for bringing carry-on baggage at Qantas Airways. They describe what items a passenger has to bring on the aircraft, considering that he/she carries no harmful qualities. Pertaining to the security rules of the Qantas baggage policy, the items to be brought inside the flight are:
- Medical equipment
- Medical specimens
- Surgical instruments
- Mobility aids
- Baby food
- Baby car seat
- Smart bags
- Power banks
- Makeup items
- Pillows and mattresses
Qantas Airways has certain liquid constraints that are needed to be obeyed by its travelers. The flyers traveling with liquids have to meet these exceptions as stated in the Qantas International carry-on baggage allowance:
- These products must be stored in containers with a capacity of 100 milliliters:
- The containers must accommodate inside a single, clear, and resealable zip lock bag.
- A snap-lock clear plastic bag is also approved for carrying liquids.
- The total length of the bag’s zipped area must not exceed 80 centimeters.
- On Qantas flights, each passenger is permitted to take only one bag.
- Containers greater than 100 milliliters will not be permitted through security checkpoints.
Carrying Infants with Qantas Airways
Qantas baggage policy for infants allows them to fly with it as long as these conditions are achieved:
- Qantas Airways does not demand infants under the age of two to have their separate seats.
- When you want a bassinet on the flight, you must inform Qantas Airlines before making your reservation.
- Per adult, just one lap infant is permitted.
- If a person is traveling with more than one infant, then a standard seat must be bought.
- Inside the planes, a restraining device or a car seat must be carried.
- You may rent a car seat from the airline if you do not have it.
Qantas Airways Pet Baggage Policy
Qantas Airlines approves only tiny pets to be carried along with passengers. Even for carrying them, the passengers must fulfil the required conditions or follow the suggested rules. The baggage allowance for Qantas Airlines includes the following rules:
- The permission to fly in the cabin is only restricted to service pets.
- The pets can only travel via cargo hold transportation on Qantas flights.
- Qantas Airways will require all the health documents of the pet and its vaccination records too.
- The veterinary certificate also needs to be submitted via transporting the pet in the cargo hold.
- The pet carrier must always be there for flying with Qantas flights.
- The passengers must ensure that the pet carrier is water-proof and escape-proof.
- The overall weight of the pet should not exceed above 18 kilograms.
Equipment/Instruments Allowed in Qantas Airways
Qantas Airlines permits the transport of certain items. These items include musical and sports instruments. As per the Qantas Airlines International baggage allowance, the permitted items can include:
- Fishing rods
- Golf clubs
- Golf bag
- Scuba diving gear
- Paragliding equipment
- Surf ski
- Water skis
- Bowling equipment
- Parachuting equipment
Prohibited Items on Qantas Airways
Qantas Airways does not accept a few items to be taken inside its flights. These prohibited items are as mentioned below:
- Inflammable objects
- Oil paints
- Petroleum products
- Gas canister
- Pepper sprays
- Gun powder
- Organic peroxides
- Toxic chemicals
- Lithium batteries
- Car batteries
- Motorbike accessories
Note: From the security point of view, Qantas may not allow the passengers to carry the items listed above.
Before booking your flight with Qantas Airways, you should check out its genuine reviews. To read Qantas Airways reviews, tap on this post.
Frequently Asked Questions for Qantas Baggage Policy
To avoid Qantas extra baggage fees, you can unpack certain goods or shift them inside your carry-on bag if necessary. Consider investing on a baggage scale so that you can measure your belongings in advance. To guarantee consistency and avoid unpleasant fees, add any wheels or handles to your dimensions while weighing your bags.
When flying abroad, passengers in Economy and Premium Economy Class can bring up to two suitcases. First Class passengers are permitted to carry three bags. Each of them should weigh 32 kilograms, according to the Qantas baggage policy.