Delta Airlines baggage policy and allowance have been made with strict rules. With headquarters established in Atlanta, United States, the airline has suggested that every passenger has to follow its baggage policy. While making a reservation with the airline, knowing and understanding the policy is advised. This policy assists the passengers to understand what items are allowed during the checking and onboarding procedures.
- Delta Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance
- Guidelines for Excess Baggage of Delta Airlines
- Overweight or Oversized Delta Baggage Fees
- Delta Airlines Security Rules of Carry-on Baggage Policy
Delta Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance
Delta Airlines allows its customers to check their bags cost-free by adhering to its general weight limitations. These weight-limit restrictions are based on different fare classes. We have mentioned the fare classes and their weight restrictions of checked baggage allowance in the table below:
|Fare Classes of Delta Airlines||Weight/Size Limit|
|Economy Class||23 kgs|
|Delta-One Class||32 kgs|
|Business Class||62 inches|
|First Class||62 inches|
Guidelines for Excess Baggage of Delta Airlines
Delta Airlines has formed certain guidelines for flyers planning to carry extra luggage inside the flight. Excess luggage, when carried in flight, can require an extra fee. The Delta Airlines baggage fees depend on the weight or size of the additional items taken.
As per the policy, these guidelines have to be kept in mind while carrying additional luggage:
- The weight or size of extra baggage should be under 50 lbs.
- Passengers cannot bring extra luggage exceeding 100 lbs of weight.
- In case you carry any bag above 50 lbs of weight, an additional fee will be applied.
Overweight or Oversized Delta Baggage Fees
Delta Airlines baggage fees depend on the weight of the oversized/overweight luggage and the destination of passengers. The airline will charge extra when the weight exceeds 63 inches. Also, 155 inches is the maximum limit allowed in the case of overweight/oversized items.
Overweight baggage fees of Delta are mentioned below:
|Destination Route||Price for 63-80 inches of Luggage|
|United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands||$200|
|Destination between North/South/Central America and Europe or North Africa||$300|
|Destination to/from/between Asia, Middle East, Australia, India||$175|
|Destination between the US or Canada and Mexico, Caribbean, Central/South America||$150|
|Destination to/from Brazil||$100|
|Destination between North America and all other African countries||$175|
Delta Airlines Security Rules of Carry-on Baggage Policy
Delta Airlines baggage allowance policy comes defined with security rules for carry-on bags for passengers. These security rules include what items are/aren’t allowed inside the flight.
Things that passengers can carry inside Delta flights are inclusive of:
- Food or drink (Purchased after passing through the security checkpoint)
- Duty-free shopping
- Child safety seats
- Assistance devices such as wheelchairs and crutches
Additionally, there are certain restrictions to bring liquid with Delta. These restrictions include:
- Each passenger is allowed to bring 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) of:
- Only transportation containers can be used for carrying liquid items, as per Delta Airlines policy of carry-on.
- The items are restricted to one quart-size bag per traveler.
- The following travel products are allowed and must adhere to the 3-1-1 liquids guideline:
Carrying Infants with Delta Airlines
Different rules for carrying infants have been included in the Delta Airlines baggage fees and allowance policy. If the passenger is carrying a child with him/her, then these rules have to be followed:
- On flying with an unticketed infant in your lap, Delta Airlines won’t allow bringing any extra luggage.
- As a personal item or carry-on bag, you may bring one of the following:
- Bottle warmer and accompanying cooler bag
- Booster seat
- Baby Bassinet seat
Delta Airlines Pets Policy
The policy for pets at Delta includes the following rules:
- Your carry-on bag may not be charged but your carry-on pet will be.
- While bringing a pet on board, ensuring that it fits in a compact and roomy pet carrier that slips beneath the seat next to you is advised.
- Cabin shelters for pets will be counted as one carry-on luggage.
- You can carry one personal item in the airplane with the kennel.
The pet fees listed below apply to and from the following locations:
|U.S. Virgin Islands||$200|
Sporting and Music Equipment Accepted in Delta Airlines
There are certain sports instruments, as well as music equipment, that are allowed in Delta Airlines. The list of the items falling in the categories is as follows:
- Archery equipment
- Golf equipment
- Fishing equipment
- Hockey and lacrosse equipment
- Shooting equipment
- Scuba equipment
- Skiboards or snowboards
- Vaulting poles
- Windsurfing boards
Prohibited Items on Delta Airlines
Some goods are prohibited onboard your Delta aircraft due to federal law and safety requirements. Abiding by the Delta Airlines baggage fees policy, this list displays what things are restricted/forbidden while traveling:
- Products with aerosols like cooking spray or anti-static spray
- Drain cleaners
- Explosive materials or fireworks
- Black powder
- Pepper spray
- Bear deterrent
- Lighters with a torch or a blue flame, as well as all lighter fills
- Sources of energy like gasoline or sterno cans
- Strike-anywhere paints, stains, or lubricants
- Ready-to-eat meals (MREs)
- Lithium or lithium-ion batteries used in hoverboards, balance gliders, self-balancing boards, or powered riding luggage
- Air conditioners
This airline has put in place several policies for the convenience of its customers. Let us see how convenient these policies have really been. Click here to check the Delta Airlines reviews to know the same.
Frequently Asked Questions for Southwest Baggage Policy
Passengers going for a standard Economy fare can check up to 2 pieces of luggage as per Delta Airlines baggage allowance policy. However, if any flyer is traveling with Delta Connection, then he/she may take up to 4 pieces of luggage as checked baggage.
For adding extra baggage on Delta, you must notify the airline beforehand about the number of luggage you wish to add. You may use the Fly Delta app for this purpose. You can pay for additional bags at any airport, if already checked, as per the Delta international baggage policy.
As per Delta baggage policy, the weight limit for luggage on Delta Airlines is 50 pounds or 23 kilograms. In the case of overweight luggage, you may be charged an extra fee.