El Alto International Airport is the highest international airport in the world, located in El Alto, Bolivia, at an elevation of 4,061.5 meters (13,325 feet) above sea level. It serves as the main airport for the city of La Paz, the administrative capital of Bolivia.
The airport was first opened in 1929, but it was not until the 1960s that it was modernized and expanded to accommodate larger aircraft. In recent years, the airport has undergone a number of renovations, including the construction of a new terminal and the installation of new air traffic control equipment.
General Information about El Alto Airport
The following table is an overview of LPB Airport indicated below:
|Airport||El Alto International Airport|
|Airport Type||Public / Military|
|Owner||Government of Bolivia|
|Operator||Navegación Aérea y Aeropuertos Bolivianos (NAABOL)|
|Serves||La Paz, Bolivia|
|Hub for||Línea Aérea Amaszonas|
|El Alto Airport Code||LPB|
|El Alto Airport Terminals||Two terminals|
|LPB Airport Runway||2|
|LPB Airport Coordinates||16°30′48″S 068°11′32″W|
|Contact Number||+591 2 2157300|
|El Alto Airport Address||Huascar 204, El Alto, Bolivia|
|Elevation||4,061.5 m / 13,325 ft|
El Alto Airport Code
El Alto Airport code is LPB. This three-letter IATA code is based on the name of the airport itself.
|WORLD AREA CODE||+1|
|IATA METROPOLITAN CODE||LPB|
El Alto Airport Map
The LPB Airport location Map is a useful tool for finding your way around the airport, and for planning your journey.
El Alto International Airport Runway
LPB Airport has two active runways.
|Name||Length (mtr)||Length (ft)||Surface|
El Alto Airport Terminal
El Alto International Airport has two terminals: the international terminal and the domestic terminal.
- The International terminal is the largest of the two and has twenty-one gates. It handles all international flights to and from Bolivia. The terminal has a variety of amenities, including shops, restaurants, and cafes.
- The Domestic terminal has five gates and handles all domestic flights within Bolivia. The terminal is smaller and has fewer amenities than the international terminal.
Nearest Airports to El Alto International Airport
Some of the International and Domestic airports near LPB.
- Juan Mendoza – 219 km
- Inca Manco Cápac International Airport – 301 km
- Jorge Wilstermann International Airport – 375 km
- Rurrenabaque Airport – 435 km
- Chacalluta International Airport – 476 km
- Coronel FAP Carlos Ciriani Santa Rosa International Airport – 510 km
- Rodríguez Ballón International Airport – 555 km
Airlines Operating from El Alto Airport
The following airlines operate from El Alto International Airport:
- Boliviana de Aviación
- LATAM Chile
- LATAM Perú