While traveling by air, it is extremely important to know the baggage limits. In this regard, the United Airlines baggage policy provides the most accurate information about the baggage rules to its travelers. This policy highlights the maximum size and weight limits to be carried while traveling by this airline. It also mentions the number and types of bags to be carried. Further, the difference in the baggage rules between domestic and international travel is also disclosed by this policy.
- United Baggage Policy Rules
- United Airlines Baggage Allowance
- United Airlines Baggage Fees
- United Airlines Checked Baggage Policy
- United Airlines Checked Baggage Rules
- Inside United Airlines Checked Baggage
- United Airlines Carry On Baggage Policy
- United Airlines Carry On Baggage Rules
- Items Allowed Under United Carry-On Baggage
- Electronics Under United Carry-On Baggage
- Fragile Items Under United Carry-On Luggage
- Items Prohibited Under United Carry-On Baggage
- United Airlines Economy Baggage Policy Rules (Basic Economy)
- United Airlines Excess Baggage Policy
- United Airlines Oversize Baggage Rules and Fee
- United Airlines Overweight Baggage Rules and Fee
- United Airlines Extra Bags Rules and Fee
- United Airlines Military Baggage Policy
- Carrying Infants with United Airlines
- Traveling With Pets On United Airlines
- United Airlines Baggage Claim (Damaged, Delayed, Lost Bags)
- United Airlines Baggage Compensation
- United Airlines Baggage Tracking
- FAQs- United Baggage Policy
United Airlines International Baggage Policy
The baggage limits for international travel may differ slightly from domestic travel. Usually, international flights may impose more restrictions than domestic flights on bringing carry-on luggage items. However, about excess luggage, international flights can permit more freedom.
United Airlines Domestic Baggage Policy
Under domestic baggage rules of United, some fewer free checked bags are allowed to be taken. The allowance for overweight baggage on domestic flights is only confined to a certain extent. However, other impositions on check-in luggage may not be as strict as on international flights. Hence, good comprehension of these different rules ensures a safe journey for the flyers.
United Baggage Policy Rules
This United Airlines baggage policy gives various rules and regulations for the safe transport of your luggage. You can avoid risk by carefully adhering to these conditions. These conditions are set by the carrier to ensure the safety of the luggage as well as the smooth boarding process of the visitors.
Some of the essential United Airlines baggage rules are as follows:
- Mainly three types of baggage are allowed under this policy which include: checked, carry-on, and excess luggage.
- There are several prohibitions imposed on the transport of certain dangerous items to be carried on the flight.
- According to the United Airlines check-in baggage rules, passengers will be required to check-in their luggage within the stipulated time before boarding.
- You may be allowed to carry excess luggage only up to a certain extent. Therefore, obeying the weight and size limits is important.
- Traveling with pets may require permission from the airline authorities.
Quick-note: You can directly contact the airline in case you face any queries concerning the baggage rules.
United Airlines Baggage Allowance
There are four different classes of service offered by this airline. Keeping this in view, the United Airlines baggage weight limit varies with the class you select. These distinctions in baggage limits mainly apply to the checked bags. The size limits for carry-on bags are generally the same in all classes as per the guidelines given by the United baggage allowance.
While there might be no difference in the United Airlines baggage size limits of the four classes, the weight limits are as mentioned below:
|United Airlines Flight Class||Weight Limit Per Bag|
|United Polaris (Business Class)||70 lbs or 32 kgs|
|United First (First Class)||70 lbs or 32 kgs|
|United Economy (Economy Class)||50 lbs or 23 kgs|
|United Basic Economy Class||50 lbs or 23 kgs|
The United baggage allowance also differs based on your MileagePlus status. MileagePlus is a loyalty program extended by this airline that offers several benefits to its regular flyers. The maximum weight permitted based on this program is shown in the table below.
|United Airlines Mileage Plus Status||Weight Limit Per Bag|
|Premier Silver, Gold, and Platinum||70 lbs or 32 kgs|
|Star Alliance Gold (In Business)||70 lbs or 32 kgs|
|Star Alliance Gold (In Economy)||50 lbs or 23 kgs|
United Airlines Baggage Fees
While flying with United Airlines, you may need to pay a certain fee for bringing on your checked luggage. This luggage fee depends upon United Airlines baggage rules and varies with your ticket fare, class of service, and the number of checked bags. Your arrival destination and the loyalty program status affect the luggage fee as well. Further, the major factor in determining the United baggage fees is the nature of your flight, whether international or domestic.
In this regard, the United Airlines domestic baggage fees are as listed in the following table:
|Baggage Category||Fee Charged|
|First Bag||35 USD|
|Second Bag||45 USD|
|Third Bag||150 USD|
Quick-Note: For carrying any additional bag, the United domestic baggage fees can be $150 per bag.
Based on an overseas travel, the United Airlines international baggage fees are mentioned below:
|Baggage Category||Fee Charged|
|First Bag||Generally free|
|Second Bag||100 USD|
|First Bag (Basic Economy)||60 USD|
|Second Bag (Basic Economy)||100 USD|
Quick-Note: It is important to know that, based on your itinerary, this carrier allows two checked bags without costing additional fees. Hence, to know the exact amount of United baggage fees for your itinerary, go to the “Baggage Calculator” section on the airline’s online site.
United Airlines Checked Baggage Policy
United checked baggage refers to the luggage that needs to be transported in the hold of the aircraft. The flyers of this carrier cannot access this baggage during their journey. Passengers will have to hand over this luggage to the airline during check-in. It can be later collected at the airport upon arrival. This type of baggage is also called the check-in or the hold luggage.
United Airlines Checked Baggage Rules
Several rules pertain to the United Airline checked baggage. Essentially, these rules give the actual information on how much check-in luggage weight and size limits are to be taken care of. Passengers will not be permitted to check in more than the allotted weight per bag. Therefore, it is important to analyze these limits carefully.
United Airlines checked baggage weight limit:
- The standard allowance for United checked baggage weight should be 50 lbs or 23 kgs on a single bag.
- The weight limit in Business class is 70 lbs or 32 kgs per bag.
- Usually, 2 bags, not exceeding the weight limit of United, can be allowed to be carried under standard circumstances.
Checked baggage size for United Airlines:
- The maximum dimensions for checked baggage should be under 62 inches or 157 centimeters.
- This United checked baggage size limit can include the combined dimensions of length, width, and height of the bags.
- The size of suitcases should also be within the mentioned dimensions.
United Airlines Checked Baggage Fees:
- For general members, checking in the first bag may cost $35 and the second bag costs about $45.
- United check-in baggage allows Premier members to carry 2 bags for free.
- You will not be required to pay any more additional charges to the carrier if your checked bags do not exceed these given limits.
Inside United Airlines Checked Baggage
A major part of the items in your bag can be carried under United checked baggage.
This can include your basic luggage like
- Processed food,
- Toiletry items.
- Safety kit.
You can also put laptop in checked baggage. United Airlines allows you to carry different types of suitcases and bags under checked luggage if they do not exceed the weight limit. However, you should keep in mind that gels and aerosols cannot be brought in checked luggage.
Liquids In United Checked Baggage
Further, as per the regulations of United Airlines, liquids in checked baggage can be subject to the following restrictions:
- All liquids must be less than 3.5 ounces or 100 millimeters
- They must be carried in a clear bag that is sealable.
- The bag should be about quart-size or liter-size.
- For liquids like baby formula and other medicines, the United baggage policy facilitates exceptions.
- Any liquids carried in zip-line bags have to be checked during airport checking.
Sports Equipment Under Checked Luggage:
The baggage policy of this carrier allows its passengers to bring sports equipment on board. This equipment must comply with the United baggage weight limit of checked baggage, that is, 50 lbs. These sports items must be securely packed and should be easy to transport.
The United baggage policy allows the following sports equipment:
- Windsurfing equipment
- Tennis items
- Wave ski
- Surfboards and paddle boards
- Skating Equipment
- Scuba Diving items
- Pool Cues
- Hockey Equipment
Note: If any of these items exceed the weight limitations, you will be obliged to pay extra United baggage fees.
United Airlines Carry On Baggage Policy
United carry-on baggage refers to the luggage that can be carried by the travelers during their journey. These bags are usually kept in the overhead compartment above the passenger’s seat. They can also be stored under the seat of the traveler. This luggage is accessible to the passengers throughout their journey.
United Airlines Carry On Baggage Rules
For bringing United carry-on baggage, the flyers need to follow some basic rules. These rules can include that the passengers can only be allowed to carry 2 bags as their carry-on luggage. These bags can include their personal items as well. However, these bags are subjected to certain weight and size limits.
This was one of the rules of bringing the carry-on items to this carrier. Other United Airlines carry-on baggage rules are as follows:
United Airlines carry-on baggage weight limit:
- There is no specific limit for carry-on baggage weight in United Airlines. However, it is mentioned that the carry-on items must fit in the given compartments on the airplane.
- Basic Economy passengers of this U.S.-based air carrier can only bring one personal item as their carry-on luggage.
United Airlines carry-on baggage size limit:
The United Airlines baggage dimensions for carry-on bags are 9 inches* 14 inches* 22 inches including the handles and wheels. This bag is to be stored in the overhead bin.
The maximum United carry-on baggage size for taking a personal item should be 9 inches* 10 inches* 17 inches. This is to be stored below your front seat.
United Airlines carry-on baggage fees:
- The items under carry-on baggage can be transported cost-free when they do not exceed the size limits.
- Passengers with Basic Economy tickets will have to pay a United carry-on baggage fee of $25 if they want to carry a full-size carry-on bag.
Items Allowed Under United Carry-On Baggage
Some items can be allowed by the United Airlines baggage rules and others can be prohibited. These items can be allowed to enter the security check if they are found to be safe.
The basic items allowed under carry-on luggage are
- Water Bottles
- Photo Equipment
- Diaper Bags
- Breast Pumps
Other than these, there are other special items allowed as carry-on luggage which are explained below.
Electronics Under United Carry-On Baggage
The United Airlines baggage allowance permits bringing electronics under checked baggage. All safety precautions must be followed while carrying these electronic items. The airport security will thoroughly check these items at security checks.
Given below are the electronics allowed under carry-on luggage at United:
- Electonic games
As per the United baggage policy, all electronic devices must be in non-cellular transmitting mode at all times. Also, you can only use these devices during the flight if your airplane is above 10,000 feet.
Fragile Items Under United Carry-On Luggage
The United baggage policy makes special provisions for fragile items. You can carry musical instruments and art under the category of fragile items. If you wish to carry these items as carry-on luggage, their safety will be in your own hands. The airline will only be liable to a certain extent in case of loss or damage to these articles.
The baggage allowed on United Airlines under this category is as follows:
- Musical instruments (Flutes, Drums, and Violins)
Quick Note: If your musical instruments include big items like guitars, pianos, and trumpets that exceed the carry-on United baggage weight, you can transport them under checked luggage.
- Expensive Art
- Precious stones
- Artifacts and Antiques
- Costly watches
Tip: You are advised to beware of theft while carrying the above-mentioned items on board.
Items Prohibited Under United Carry-On Baggage
The carry-on baggage for United does not allow the flyers to bring some items. As per the baggage policy of this carrier, bringing certain items cannot be regarded as safe while flying. Mentioned below is the list of all the prohibited items that should not be carried by the visitors :
- Dry ice
- Certain powder-based substances
- Gels and chemicals
- Gasoline-powered tools
- Liquid Nitrogen
- Dry Snipers
Since these items are rendered harmful by the United baggage policy, they will not be allowed on board. Further, the airline may not offer any exceptions for carrying these items.
United Airlines Economy Baggage Policy Rules (Basic Economy)
The United Economy baggage rules of the Basic Economy differ from the other fares. More restrictions are applicable in the Basic Economy fare. Passengers will also need to pay additional fees if they want to carry more items.
The main rules of the United Airlines baggage policy, Economy are highlighted below:
- Travelers with the Basic Economy tickets can carry only one small personal bag. This bag should fit in the given space under the seat and can include:
- Laptop bag
- Shoulder bag
- The United baggage size in Basic Economy can not be more than 9 inches * 10 inches * 17 inches.
- Passengers of his fare will be restricted from bringing full-sized carry-on bags on flights other than trans-Pacific, trans-Atlantic, Middle-East, Africa, and Europe.
- The United baggage fees for this class is about USD 25 and varies based on the flight itinerary.
- The checked luggage rules of United airlines Economy baggage and Basic Economy fare are similar. The weight limit is 50 lbs and the size limit is 62 inches.
United Airlines Excess Baggage Policy
Excess baggage refers to luggage over the maximum limits of size and weight. As per the United Airlines baggage policy, the excess baggage is classified into
- Oversized Baggage
- Overweight Baggage
- Extra Bags
Each of these types of excess baggage has different rules.
United Airlines Oversize Baggage Rules and Fee
- USD 200 has to be paid for carrying oversize bags ranging from 63 to 115 linear inches.
- Bags exceeding 115 linear inches will not be accepted by the airline under United check-in baggage.
United Airlines Overweight Baggage Rules and Fee
- For overweight bags ranging from 71 to 100 lbs, a fee of 400 USD per bag can be charged by the carrier.
- United checked baggage does not allow bags weighing more than 100 lbs.
United Airlines Extra Bags Rules and Fee
- United international baggage fees of USD 150 can be charged for extra bags.
- The airline will only accept extra bags if there is sufficient space on the aircraft.
Note: Assistive devices can be carried for free without incurring additional charges.
United Airlines Military Baggage Policy
The United Airlines military baggage policy differs from that of the regular policy. According to this policy, active members of the US Military and military dependents enjoy specific baggage benefits. They carry more than the usual limits up to a certain extent.
The United Airlines military baggage rules should be followed when you are a member of the US Military department or a family member. The rules that apply to military baggage are as follows:
- When traveling under official orders, members of the US military can transport up to 5 checked bags for free. The weight limit of these bags should be under 70 lbs while the size limit should be 115 inches.
- When traveling for personal reasons, the United military baggage allowance is up to 3 bags with a weight limit of 70 lbs and a size limit of 62 inches.
- Military dependents traveling under orders can carry 2 bags of 100 lbs each not exceeding 62 inches.
Note: Following the United Airlines baggage policy for military, dependents flying for personal reasons will be subject to the standard luggage regulations.
Carrying Infants with United Airlines
For infants, United Airlines baggage allowance occupies a different policy that customers must follow. The following rules should be kept in mind while traveling with infants on United:
- A ticket is not required for infants under the age of two who travel without a seat inside the United States, Puerto Rico, or the United States Virgin Islands.
- Infants flying abroad (including destinations to Canada, Guam, and Mexico) who do not have a seat must buy a ticket and pay infant rates and taxes.
- If you have bought a seat for your kid, you may utilize an FAA-approved child restraint system (CRS).
- Extra United Airlines baggage fees will be deducted on purchasing a ticket for your infant.
- As defined in the policy, you may also utilize child safety seats available on certain commercial flights.
Traveling With Pets On United Airlines
This airline also allows passengers to travel with their pets. For this, you will have to strictly follow the rules given by the United Airline baggage policy. The safety of the pets is to be ensured at all times. Therefore, for conveniently carrying your pet animals on the flight, follow the given conditions:
- There is no specific United baggage weight limit for pets, however, there is a size limit on the kennel in which your pets can be brought. The maximum dimensions of a kennel are 17.5 inches * 12 inches * 7.5 inches. (length*width*height)
- Domestic cats and dogs can be carried inside the cabin under the seat.
- Minors will not be permitted to bring pet animals on board.
- You may have to pay a United baggage fees of USD 125 for carrying your pets.
- Passengers can also book an extra ticket if they want to carry more than one animal.
- Service animals above 4 months of age are also allowed by the airline.
Note: The United Airlines baggage allowance for pets on international flights can be slightly different from domestic flights. For the latest updates in this regard, you can contact the airline.
United Airlines Baggage Claim (Damaged, Delayed, Lost Bags)
The United Airlines baggage policy allows the submission of claims in case of any delayed, damaged, or lost baggage. The claim can be submitted online through a link on the official site of the airline. Otherwise, you can contact the baggage resolution center to claim your luggage.
The online process of submitting a baggage claim with United Airlines is as explained below:
- Open your browser and go to the site www.united.com
- Open the “Baggage Information” section and click on “Issues with checked bags” near “United check-in baggage”
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to find the “Submit a claim” feature.
- Fill in the necessary details as requested by the airline and make your baggage claim.
For the offline procedure of making a baggage claim, you need to:
- Connect with the United Baggage service center at 1-800-335-2247.
- Inform the agents of your issues with United Airlines check-in baggage.
- Submit the required details and claim your luggage.
United Airlines Baggage Compensation
This airline provides baggage compensation to its customers in case of delayed or lost baggage. This compensation can vary based on your time of claim and the international baggage rules of different countries. The rules for United baggage delay compensation are as follows:
- If your bag is delayed because of the reasons related to the airline, you can immediately submit a claim. The authorities will soon begin the search for your luggage. If you fail to receive your baggage after 5 days, you will be eligible for United delayed bag compensation of $1500.
- You can claim about $3,500 for lost bags under United Airlines’ lost baggage compensation.
- Damaged bags will be compensated according to the reason and extent of the damage.
Note: You can contact the toll-free number of United for further queries regarding baggage compensation.
United Airlines Baggage Tracking
If you want to know the status of your delayed or missing luggage, you can use the baggage tracking feature of the carrier. The United Airlines baggage tracing options gives you constant updates about your delayed luggage.
To track your bag in case of a delay, please follow the procedure as given by the United Airlines baggage policy:
- Open the official site of United Airlines and go to the “Travel Info” section.
- Select the option of “Baggage Info” from the drop-down list.
- On the redirected page, find the section “Issues with your bags” and select “Track your bags”.
- Enter the required details like your first and last name and tap the “Continue” button to trace your luggage.
Note: If you are unable to use the United Airlines baggage tracking feature, you may contact the airline authorities to know more about how to track your luggage.
The United Airlines baggage policy gives detailed information about the limits on the baggage. It also tries to accommodate the different needs of various travelers. The charges for excess luggage are also low, thus benefiting the customers in every way possible. Overall, the features provided by this policy prove to be advantageous to the flyers.
FAQs- United Baggage Policy
According to the carry-on baggage policy of United Airlines, the first bag charges around $35. The second bag costs $45. Also, if any traveler has to carry three or more than three bags, then the airline will charge nearly $150 each.
The standard checked baggage size can weigh up to 62 inches on traveling with United Airlines. Whenever checked baggage is found more than the standard size, an additional fee is required, as is in accordance with the United Airlines baggage fees weight limit restrictions.
A suitcase weighing up to 50 pounds or 23 kilograms can be taken inside the flights of United Airlines. Concerning United Airlines baggage policy, any suitcase weighing above 50 pounds will be considered a piece of overweight luggage. In that case, an extra fee will be added for the luggage.
Yes, you can pay for your United Airlines checked bag online. Basically, for doing so you have got two options. The first one is that you can prepay online for your items 24 hours prior to your departure. The second option is to prepay at the airport using the United Airlines’ website. This will save your time and you may not have to stand in a long queue for the payment.
You have to pay for the bag at the curbside as per the United Airlines checked baggage policy. You can use either a credit card or cash to settle out the payment.
Economy passengers of United can bring up to 23 kilograms of weight inside the flights. The Premium Economy travelers are supposed to carry 2 bags of up to 23 kilograms while the Business Class and the First-Class flyers can fly with 32 kilograms. They can take up to three bags inside the aircraft. However, the United Airlines checked baggage size must be 62 linear inches.
Yes, the sports equipment must be carried according to the proper United Airlines carry-on baggage weight and size restrictions. Considering the policy, the size of the sports equipment must not exceed 115 linear inches. The total weight of all the instruments must be under 23 kilograms for carrying them inside the flight.
United Airlines charges no fees for carrying the first bag to international flights from the U.S. If the passenger is carrying just a single bag. On carrying the second bag, then United Airlines checked bag fees will be $100. For other international routes except for the U.S.A, the airline will cost you $60 for the first bag and $100 for the second bag, respectively.
On United, items such as makeup items and accessories, alcoholic beverages, strollers, baby products, books, binoculars, digital cameras, bobby pins, blankets, pillowcases, extension cords, smartphones, etc., are allowed to be carried as carry-on luggage. It is to be remembered that the United Airlines carry-on weight limit must be under 23 kilograms when carrying these items.
United Airlines baggage rules are nearly the same for both the domestic as well as international routes. It allows only one checked baggage for free. If you want to carry more than a single bag, then fees will have to be submitted. For the second bag it costs $100 for international flights and for domestic ones, it charges $60. The third bag charges are $200 for international flights and $100 for domestic flights.
United Airlines charges vary for overweight items as per the different routes. For the U.S. routes, the United Airlines bag fees are $100 and for the Mexican and other countries, the fees range from $200 to $400. The flights to Cuba, however, are high-priced for overweight items and charge around $400.
Customers traveling out of any U.S. airport can bring their carry-on bags according to the United Airlines bag policy with the following items:
* Liquids in sample sizes
* Every liquid item weighing less than 3.4 ounces
Yes, United Airlines is fairly strict concerning the carry-on baggage policy. It says that the flyers can bring a total limit of 23 kilograms of bags inside their flights. If the weight is found to be more than the restricted limit, then United Airlines carry-on fees would be applied to the passengers.