Recognized for its budget-friendly fare tickets, Spirit Airlines is one of the top air carriers in the U.S. Along with low-fare flights, passengers can prefer the airline for its convenient policies as well. Its baggage policy is one among them. This airline has made a convenient baggage policy with rules for easy flying of its customers. To make flying easy, the Spirit Airlines baggage policy rules clarify information related to the physical attributes of the bags or luggage.
Checked Baggage Allowance of Spirit Airlines
On the airline headquartered in the United States, bags passing through and approved at the airport security point can be indicated by checked baggage allowance. This allowance can be gained on meeting certain conditions set by Spirit. These conditions can relate to baggage size, weight, and safety.
Spirit Airlines Baggage Size
Spirit Airlines has made baggage size measurements and restrictions related to the same. Based on these, baggage can be allowed or disallowed on flights. Speaking of measurements, they are based on the length, height, and width of the luggage. Along with this, it should be known that the Spirit luggage measurements can be varied upon the bags carried as a checked allowance, carry-on allowance, or oversized baggage.
- Checked Baggage: Checked baggage refers to the bags that can be brought by the flyers in compliance with the proper size requirements and other rules by the airline. Focusing on dimensions, to go through the checkpoint of the airline, the baggage needs to be within the size limits approved. The Spirit Airlines checked bag size may include that it should be under 62 inches. The total maximum size dimensions for the checked bag must be no more than 80 linear inches.
- Cabin Baggage: On Spirit, cabin baggage can indicate the luggage carried by a customer to his/her flight. Cabin baggage can mainly include suitcases. This type of baggage should comply with the size limits set by the airline. The Spirit Airlines suitcase size should be up to 158 centimeters or 62 inches. The maximum dimensions for the same should not exceed 203 centimeters or 80 linear inches.
Note: This size limit has been set by the airline to ensure that the passengers can store the cabin baggage under the seat.
- Oversized Baggage: Items that are more than the allocated size limits can be categorized as oversized on Spirit Airlines. For oversized baggage, the approved size limits can be around 60 to 203 cm. Particularly for an oversized suitcase, the baggage policy elaborates that it should be no more than 63-80 inches or 158-203 cm in dimensions.
- Carry-on Baggage: Passengers may bring their personal items to Spirit Airlines. These items can be carried as carry-on baggage. This operator accepts the flyers to board the flight with one personal item with a single carry-on bag having suitable dimensions. The standard carry-on bag size dimensions should be within 22 x 18 x 10 inches. For other personal items to be transported on the flight, the size should be within 18 x 14 x 8 inches.
Note: In certain situations, passengers may take oversized personal items as carry-ons. The airline may allow oversized items. However, they should not surpass the restrictions of 40 linear inches or 102 centimeters.
Spirit Airlines Baggage Weight
Weight can be an important factor when thinking about packing the bags as per the Spirit Airlines baggage limit. Knowing about the allocated weight limit can be important to pack accordingly. Spirit Airlines’ bag weight limit can be classified based on the carry-on, cabin, and checked baggage.
- Checked Baggage: Checked bags can be brought with the flyers of Spirit Airlines. Based on cabin classes, the weight limit for such bags can be understood. The weight limit for checked bags at Spirit Airlines’ Economy and Premium Economy classes is 23 kg. Business and First Class passengers can transport 32 kilograms.
Note: These weight limits may have been made to ensure that the flight does not get overweight by the items.
- Cabin Baggage: The Spirit Airlines bag weight can be a maximum of 32 kilograms. This weight limit can be ideal for keeping cabin baggage in the overhead bin of the aircraft.
- Carry-on Baggage: It should be ensured that the Spirit weight limit for baggage does not exceed 7 kilograms per piece.
Spirit Airlines Checked Baggage Fees
Spirit Airlines may impose some checked baggage fees on transporting luggage as per the TSA guidelines. Considering these guidelines, there can be several categories of airlines like Spirit. The fee is charged when a category’s passenger checks in with baggage.
Note: Spirit Airlines’ free bag service may not be allowed for transporting checked items on all its flights. The complimentary checked bags service may vary upon the itinerary, dates of travel, cabin class, and the standard fare type.
|Category||Online||Before Online Check-in||During Online Check-in|
|Spirit Savers Club||Standard||Spirit Savers Club||Standard|
|First Checked Bag||USD 28$||USD 37$||USD 38$|
|Second Checked Bag||USD 36$||USD 45$||USD 46$|
|Third to Fifth Checked Bag||USD 76$||USD 85$||USD 86$|
Note: Please note that the fares keep on changing with time. So to know the exact ticket fares, you may contact the airline.
Spirit Airlines Overweight/Oversized Baggage Fees
Certain passengers may bring overweight or oversized items on flights. When you carry such bags on Spirit Airlines, additional fees may apply. The baggage fees for overweight and oversized bags can be different on this airline.
How much does Spirit charge for overweight bags, as well as oversized luggage, is as given below:
|Overweight baggage fees||Oversized baggage fees|
|41-50 lbs: USD 50$||63-80 linear inches: USD 100$|
|51-70 lbs: USD 75$||Over 80 linear inches: USD 150$|
|71-99 lbs: USD 75$|
Spirit Airlines’ Carry-on Baggage Policy
Carry-on items or hand luggage can be taken by following the basic rules. As carry-ons, personal items can be brought and kept in the cabin. However, before bringing them to the flight, getting them checked at the security point can be vital, as per Spirit Airlines’ baggage carry-on policy.
Other such basic rules can include:
- The airport security checks whether the item can be considered as checked or carry-on for storage.
- When the carry-on luggage cannot be stored safely on a flight, then it can be considered as a checked baggage item.
- A personal item may consist of a purse, a laptop bag, a diaper bag, snacks, etc.
Note: The operator permits carry-on items to be stored in the overhead bin when the passengers are on take-off or landing.
Allowed Items on Spirit Airlines
Operators like Spirit can permit only a limited list of items to be taken by the passengers. Spirit Airlines allow items that can be passed through the security checkpoint. This can be done to ensure the safety of the travelers inside all the cabin classes.
The items that can be brought by the visitors in Economy, Premium Economy, and Business Classes of this operator are as listed below:
|Pet carrier||Camera||Baby stroller||Assistive devices|
|Baby food||Infant bag||Duty-free bag||Clothes|
Note: Spirit Airlines baggage policy for Economy, Business, and First Class passengers can be allowed to take certain liquids on the flight. The liquids must be 3.4 ounces and sealed in a transparent plastic bag.
Spirit Airlines Baggage Policy for Infants
People who are traveling with their infants can prefer Spirit Airlines on both short and long routes. However, they must note that for bringing infants, their age must be at least 8 days old.
Along with age, certain other things should also be known when carrying an infant. Infants are included in Spirit’s baggage policy. Therefore, Spirit Airlines baggage or luggage limits and rules may be applicable in case you carry them. One of these rules is that infants need to fly in the adults’ lap. The infant can be seated in a car seat or a child restraint device.
These are the other things to know with respect to the carrying of infants:
- If a child or baby turns two years old on the day of the flight, he/she has to buy a ticket.
- The airline imposes a right to collect the medical and age documentation of the infant traveling.
- Spirit Airlines rules for bags cannot provide any special luggage allocation to the babies with a ticket.
- The air carrier may not impose a fee for the child who has been seated on the lap.
- Bookings for a baby in lap can be made online or at the airport.
- Only one infant is permitted with a single adult of at least 15 years of age.
- Emergency exit row seats cannot be given to the infants, looking at their safety.
Spirit Airlines Baggage Policy for Pets
Spirit does allow pets to fly but only in the passenger cabin of the aircraft. Pets may not be permitted to fly in checked luggage or the cargo area of this carriers’ aircraft. By contacting the airline ahead of time, you can include a pet in your booking.
- Each customer can bring only a single pet in the aircraft.
- The animals must be transported in their respective pet carriers.
- A maximum of 6 pet carriers can be transported per passenger.
- The combined weight of the pet carrier should not be more than 18.14 kg.
- In the cabin of the airline, only tamed dogs, cats, bunnies, and birds are allowed.
- On foreign flights, only certified service animals are permitted.
- Puppies and kittens should be completely trained and at least 8 weeks old to be considered for travel.
- Passengers with impairments are permitted to travel with trained guide dogs at no cost.
- A health certificate of the pet has to be submitted to the airline while booking a ticket.
- As seen in Spirit Airlines’ baggage policy of 2017, 2019, 2020, and 2021, pets may not fly on international routes.
- The passengers cannot be seated in the first or the exit row when flying with the pets.
Sporting and Musical Equipment Taken on Spirit Airlines
People can bring their sporting and musical instruments on Spirit Airlines, however, the weight of the equipment should be approved. The approved weight limit for transporting sports and musical items is 40 lbs/18 kg. On carrying more than 40 lbs of weight, overweight baggage fees may apply.
As per these weight limits, the list of what can you bring on Spirit Airlines as sports and musical goods are:
|Golf clubs||Hockey equipment||Windsurfing equipment||Kayaks|
|Snowboards||Wakeboards||Bows and arrows||Water surfing boards|
Prohibited Items on Spirit Airlines
Prohibited items refer to the items that cannot be brought on Spirit Airlines. This carrier cannot accept some items because of their properties. The restricted items can be very dangerous as they can be pointed, razor-edged, poisonous, or contain harmful gases.
The list of prohibited goods at Spirit checked bags are as follows:
- Lithium batteries
- Certain gases
- Corrosive materials
- Radioactive substances
- Magnetic materials
Air New Zealand baggage policy can also be of great help if you are planning to fly with it soon. Read the post here to know about its allowances and fees.
Submit your review